Wort aeration

Aub

Premium Member
Reaction score
G'day all, I'd be interested to hear some opinions on pre- fermentation wort aeration, i.e. whether you shake, splash or us an aeration stone etc.

the best way is pure oxygen but I just pour from bucket to bucket 3 or 4 times with 7 gallon buckets and when the foam reaches the top I pitch

I ferment in a 6.5 gallon carboy, no blowoff, just an airlock. I stir during chilling with a paddle attached to my cordless drill. It works up quite a froth, so I think it’s aerated well there. Then I wait a couple hours for it to settle before racking to the carboy. I pitch my yeast, and rock the carboy vigorously for a couple minutes.

the best way is pure oxygen but I just pour from bucket to bucket 3 or 4 times with 7 gallon buckets and when the foam reaches the top I pitch
I've just been giving mine a good stir with a paddle but maybe need to be a bit more vigorous with it.

ive been using a 5 micron air stone hooked up to aquarium pump the ones from keg king seems to be going alright.

but the stone need boiling before every brew and can be a bit finnaky to get going.

I ferment in a 6.5 gallon carboy, no blowoff, just an airlock. I stir during chilling with a paddle attached to my cordless drill. It works up quite a froth, so I think it’s aerated well there. Then I wait a couple hours for it to settle before racking to the carboy. I pitch my yeast, and rock the carboy vigorously for a couple minutes.
I'll give that a go, I may have been under doing it a bit going on your and Ozarks methods. Thanks to you both for the replies.

ive been using a 5 micron air stone hooked up to aquarium pump the ones from keg king seems to be going alright.

but the stone need boiling before every brew and can be a bit finnaky to get going.
I've thought about getting one of those. Do you have any problem with foaming?
By the way, how's the amber ale going?

5 micron stone on a small O2 tank for ~ 45 seconds here. I let it soak in a bottle of starsan on brewing day.
Sounds like the quickest way !

I've thought about getting one of those. Do you have any problem with foaming?
By the way, how's the amber ale going?
yeah no prob with foam if 02 bottle wasnt so exy id go that route as per group W suggestion. but aquarium pumo it tis for now.

yep amber is lovely more a dunkel than a czech amber though. ill enter it into up commong brew comp as munich dunkel see what feed back i get its plenty malty as i wanted just not enough hop aroma ill add more aroma hops next time. colour is coppery red. as for bicarbonates mmmm not sure its got a good full mouthfeel to it and i cant taste any bicarb soda anyhow:p.

yeah no prob with foam if 02 bottle wasnt so exy id go that route as per group W suggestion. but aquarium pumo it tis for now.

yep amber is lovely more a dunkel than a czech amber though. ill enter it into up commong brew comp as munich dunkel see what feed back i get its plenty malty as i wanted just not enough hop aroma ill add more aroma hops next time. colour is coppery red. as for bicarbonates mmmm not sure its got a good full mouthfeel to it and i cant taste any bicarb soda anyhow:p.
Sounds great!

Sounds great!
well didnt take much persuasion to post a sample puck Aub lol! im hop standing on brew session atm so ive earned at drinky drink.

appearence is copper/red off white tight creamy head fairly clear (no gelatin on this one). aroma is malty no hop character . which im bummed about. flavour is to me full bodied with dark fruits raisins prunes with a saturation of sweetness on the tongue slight bitterness but long lasting caramel prunes rasin sweetness. its a bloody good drop me thinks;). time will give this already complex beer some more:rolleyes:. but remember im the father of this brew so im completely biased!

Attachments

• 20180407_134702.jpg
    20180407_134702.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 133
I pour it from the keg into carboys via a hose that only goes into the top of the carboy so there is around a 30cm drop to the bottom. That's all the aeration I do other than whatever sloshing happens while I carry it to the fermentation table.

I pour it from the keg into carboys via a hose that only goes into the top of the carboy so there is around a 30cm drop to the bottom. That's all the aeration I do other than whatever sloshing happens while I carry it to the fermentation table.
I do the same, though I do add about two minutes of rocking/shaking before pitching.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing as well as giving it a good stir.

I listened to a podcast from Brulosophy on the topic, and like most subjects, there was no definitive proof one way or the other.

I just stir like crazy when trying to get it to cool the last 10 degrees to pitch temp. Gets foamy so air should be getting in.

Pure O2. I use a slower method: 1/32 liters per minute gives me one ppm/minute (calculated, I don't have a dissolved O2 meter).

I use a venturi I made out of a plastic tee hooked up to tubing coming out of the kettle. I thought about hooking pure o2 up to it but my attenuation and fermentation is great as is.

Back