NE IPA any feedback

I like it! There are a couple of things I'd probably look at. The first is increasing the chloride in the beer- oftentimes the NEIPAs are much higher in chloride than you'd normally go. I'd also considering increasing the oats or adding other flaked grains for that pillowy/creamy mouthfeel.

I don't rack at the first dryhopping- I just add it to the fermenter. Then, once the biotransformation period is over, I'd rack to the dryhops prior to packaging, ensuring that oxygenation is minimized.

Reactions: J A
I like it! There are a couple of things I'd probably look at. The first is increasing the chloride in the beer- oftentimes the NEIPAs are much higher in chloride than you'd normally go. I'd also considering increasing the oats or adding other flaked grains for that pillowy/creamy mouthfeel.

I don't rack at the first dryhopping- I just add it to the fermenter. Then, once the biotransformation period is over, I'd rack to the dryhops prior to packaging, ensuring that oxygenation is minimized.
can you explain this further

this part
I once the biotransformation period is over, I'd rack to the dryhops prior to packaging, ensuring that oxygenation is minimized.

Yooper can clarify further, but biotransformation is the process that happens when hops are introduced before or during active fermentation. Chemical interactions between the metabolism of the yeast and oils and flavor compounds in the hops yields rich, distinct flavors that don't necessarily happen when dry-hopping occurs after fermentation has ceased and the beer is essentially just hydrating the hops and leaching flavor.

Yooper can clarify further, but biotransformation is the process that happens when hops are introduced before or during active fermentation. Chemical interactions between the metabolism of the yeast and oils and flavor compounds in the hops yields rich, distinct flavors that don't necessarily happen when dry-hopping occurs after fermentation has ceased and the beer is essentially just hydrating the hops and leaching flavor.

J A said it better than I could have. That's exactly it. The first round of dryhopping in a NE IPA is most often during that active fermentation period, when the yeast and hops interact in a chemical way that I can't even begin to understand. Then, a second dryhopping may often be introduced after that period, so you have two distinct dryhopping techniques and processes in the same batch. This is what that "juicy" NE IPA is known for.

Not magic , just proof that the beer gods do love us and didn't even have to crucify anyone
The interesting perspective about beer and alcohol is that we think we're in control and that we "invented" fermentation for our benefit and pleasure...the fact is that micro-organisms of every sort formed us and trained us through evolution to not only tolerate their existence, but to give them everything they need to thrive. :D

And even today with all our knowledge of how and why, when it all comes together, it is magical.

A few suggestions:

1. You can probably do away with the bittering hop at 60 minutes. NEIPA's are known for their juicy characteristics and very little bitterness. I typically never add hops before the 20 minute point. Most of the hops are flavor/aroma hops towards the end of the boil, during a hop stand/whirpool, and most of all during dry hopping. Your flavor/aroma hops look good. Love Cascade and Citra.
  2. English Ale yeasts are best for a NEIPA in my opinion. They are low flocculating yeasts that gives you a sweeter beer with more body. Wyeast London Ale III or White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale are my favorite. WLP007 is the yeast Trillium uses.
  3. Check your water profile. NEIPAs have a soft silky mouthfeel which is typically obtained with a 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 ratio of Calcium Chloride to Calcium Sulfate. I use distilled water and add 200ppm of Calcium Chloride to 75ppm of Calcium Sulfate. I've had great results.
  4. Nix the whirlfloc tablet. NEIPAs are also known for their unfiltered haziness. No need to try to clear the beer.

I'm no pro, but this is what I've been taught and have had very good results. Looking forward to the hearing how it turns out!

Last edited:

Back