Imperial to Metric conversion on recipes

The Green Man

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there was any chance of putting a metric / imperial (i.e gallons / litres) button the viewing recipes page.
It would be great if you just had one button and it converted grams-ounces, litres - gallons, degrees f - degrees c and maybe even cooked my dinner while it was doing it.
Us squirrels can only dream, or can it be done (except the cooking bit;))?

Color me weird but I like all my weights in metric kg and g, but prefer my volumes in gals.
I hear you there. I don't find gallons too hard (roughly 5 litres in a gallon, right?). Its the ounces, pounds and fahrenheit that my noggin struggles with.o_O

isnt it done already eg if i load in one of Ozarks Amreican moose recipies i can convert to kangaroo by just using recipie editor then just rounding out the numbers from the Oz Gal type switch?:rolleyes::confused:

Screenshot_20180323-174407.png

I see what you mean. I didn't realise you could load other people's recipes like that. Thought you had to view them and go from there.
Ah hah! Cheers Trialben

3.85 liters to the gallon. The squirrels win.

I hear you there. I don't find gallons too hard (roughly 5 litres in a gallon, right?). Its the ounces, pounds and fahrenheit that my noggin struggles with.o_O

It's closer to 4L per gallon, just FYI. ;)

It's easier to measure out 1oz of hops than 30g. It's easier to measure out a 5 gallon batch than 19L.

But it's easier to measure 4g of salts than 0.14oz, and to measure 100g of DME for a 1L starter.

10lbs of grain vs. 5kg is a wash

So yes, I appreciate that BF allows for mixed units in the editor

actually 1 oz is closer to 28g....from my pre-brewing experience.

and other than grams being easier for me for hops, i agree with you on the mixed units ability

I use metric almost exclusively but my brew kettle is in gallons so I have to do some conversions. Trying to measure 4lb 11oz is a lot harder to me than measuring out 2245g or whatever.

*wanders in , nods approvingly *
While we are discussing units who uses brix and Plato ?
I use only metric units except when talking about height

its all relative to what your used to i suppose. as for your brix and plato ive got no clue except if i had a refractometer these may have more meaning to me.

its all relative to what your used to i suppose. as for your brix and plato ive got no clue except if i had a refractometer these may have more meaning to me.
Brix and Plato are like Metric units - much more rational than the units handed down to us by English kings. Both Brix and Plato are the percentage by weight of sucrose in the solution. A beer at 13 Brix/Plato (the units are identical to several decimal places) is 13% by weight sucrose. It's 1.053 SG, by the way....

Honestly I learned SG so that's what I use, I should probably figure out brix/plato at some point.

Honestly I learned SG so that's what I use, I should probably figure out brix/plato at some point.
Yeah, I learned English Conventional units and even though I'm fluent in Metric, still use pints, gallons, pounds....

Back