Refractometer

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
Mine is cheap (Amazon ~$20), and it has a blurry line even with focusing, and if all is as it should be...

Has anyone experienced this, would the investment of ~$60 be worth it for a quality built refractometer ?

yeah mine blurs, but there is a definitive line of dark blue to light blue, and then the gradation.

img_1052-pre-boil.jpg

I'd call that photo right at about 12ºP

press down on the plastic cover and i have to put on my reading glasses and it clears

So I'd be wasting $60 buying a "better" one.. ?

P.S. I must admit the reading glasses do help though.....

I'm not really sure, with 50 different kinds and prices its hard to say whats good or not even a really good brand can be just the same as a cheap model sometimes but a refractor is not the most crucial tool its just a guide to let you know you on track

Mostly it needs to be consistent...I'd measure the exact same wort a few times over a day or so at different temps to see if it's reading the same.

If the line is blurry the sample is probably too aerated or has bubbles against the sight glass. It will happen on any refractometer

I have had blurry lines and this happens either when there are hops added to the boil and your trying to gauge your gravity mid-boil or when there are a lot of starches present.

The best way to clean it up during the boil is to strain the wort through a new, dry paper towel. This will remove any major sediment and bubbles liked KC said. You can strain the wort during the mash to remove any sediment, but if there is starches present it can be blurred. I sometimes use the refractometer to see how well the conversion is going in the mash.

Mine is cheap (Amazon ~$20), and it has a blurry line even with focusing, and if all is as it should be...

Has anyone experienced this, would the investment of ~$60 be worth it for a quality built refractometer ?
The sharpness of the line is dependent on how clear the liquid is. If the liquid is hazy or has a bunch of particulates in it, the line will be hazy. If the liquid is bright - transparent - the line will be sharp. When I take readings during fermentation, I always filter the biggest particulates out so I get a "line" maybe one degree of SG wide. Oh, and my refractometer is a relatively cheap model, in the $40 range.

To answer your question, I have a $60 refractometer and it is blurry too.

Back