potassium bicarbonate

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
is there any way to add potassium bicarbonate to the advanced water calc?

or, does anyone know what ppm Potassium is contributed when adding, let's say, 1 gram in 5 gallons of distilled water?

Is it similar to Baking Soda? (at 1 gram per 5 gallon, Baking Soda contributes 14.5ppm Sodium and 37.589 Bicarbonate)

Potassium weighs more than sodium so back to high school chemistry.... Potassium is 39.1g/mol. Bicarbonate is 61.0g/mol. A mole of potassium bicarbonate delivers one mole of bicarbonate and one mole of the potassium. Potassium bicarbonate is 100.1g/mol so a gram of it basically is 0.01 mol. That means a gram of potassium bicarbonate has 0.61g bicarbonate (610 mg). Divide that by the 19 liters of water in five gallons (approx.) and you get 32 ppm bicarbonate from potassium bicarbonate. It's 20.5 ppm potassium.

I personally wish both sodium and potassium metabisulfite were added since both are widely used to dechlorinate tap water.

Potassium weighs more than sodium so back to high school chemistry.... Potassium is 39.1g/mol. Bicarbonate is 61.0g/mol. A mole of potassium bicarbonate delivers one mole of bicarbonate and one mole of the potassium. Potassium bicarbonate is 100.1g/mol so a gram of it basically is 0.01 mol. That means a gram of potassium bicarbonate has 0.61g bicarbonate (610 mg). Divide that by the 19 liters of water in five gallons (approx.) and you get 32 ppm bicarbonate from potassium bicarbonate. It's 20.5 ppm potassium.

I personally wish both sodium and potassium metabisulfite were added since both are widely used to dechlorinate tap water.

Both metabisulfites are on the list, as the low dissolved oxygen group wants those added as well.

Potassium bicarbonate has not been on our radar, as far as I know.

Thanks for the replies.

@Nosybear that was awesome information.

@Yooper I’m looking for Potassium Bicarbonate because we’re looking for an alternative for drinking water. Instead of filtered water, just buy minerals and DI water for cheap and make it ourselves.

I'd never looked for meta in the water calculators.... But in the amounts used, the contributions are trivial. Thanks!

Back