Just felt like some pig

BOB357

Trial Member
Reaction score
Been eating leftover brats and corned beef and cabbage since last weekend. Opened the freezer and saw a couple of bone in pork loin roasts that I was going to grind for sausage. Couldn't resist the urge to take one out for supper tonight. Slathered with mustard and then rubbed with my pulled pork & rib rub, let stand for15 minutes and sprinkled some brown sugar on top. Put it on the Traeger at 225F for an hour with some mixed pellets and just cranked it up to 275F, Will let it reach 155F and foil it until it hits 195F. Man, I can already taste it.

Don't know about anyone else, but I could live on pork!

You know I could, too! My wife and I made 20 lbs of sausage today. 20 lb package of boneless pork shoulder from GFS for $1.49/lb. Seasoned last night, and ground and stuffed today. Salt, pepper, garlic, and 2 cups of homebrew for the liquid. That’s gonna be some good stuff. I think we’ll hot smoke it as we eat it, but I may end up cold smoking the entire batch tomorrow.

I'm kind of weird when it comes to meat. Prime rib is a waste of some good char broiled ribeye steaks and chicken breast is the part that's left over after the good parts have been consumed. Pork, on the other hand, is something that is very easy to love. Can't really think of any part of a pig that I don't like.

I pretty much live on pork and chicken, 2 veggies every day mostly pork too the exception is hamburger and round steak, I do eat a pound and a half Angus fresh cut rib steak for my birthday dinner charred to perfection on the outside and pink on the inside, my favorite

Been eating leftover brats and corned beef and cabbage since last weekend. Opened the freezer and saw a couple of bone in pork loin roasts that I was going to grind for sausage. Couldn't resist the urge to take one out for supper tonight. Slathered with mustard and then rubbed with my pulled pork & rib rub, let stand for15 minutes and sprinkled some brown sugar on top. Put it on the Traeger at 225F for an hour with some mixed pellets and just cranked it up to 275F, Will let it reach 155F and foil it until it hits 195F. Man, I can already taste it.

Don't know about anyone else, but I could live on pork!

Have ribs going on the pellet grill at the moment. They are going faster than expected, will be finished in about 5 hours. Just a good rub, and smoked to 170f then sauced in aluminum foil for a couple hours to 195f and a rest. Pig is good. Beer is good. Life is good!

I'm kind of weird when it comes to meat. Prime rib is a waste of some good char broiled ribeye steaks and chicken breast is the part that's left over after the good parts have been consumed. Pork, on the other hand, is something that is very easy to love. Can't really think of any part of a pig that I don't like.
You would enjoy stuffed boneless chicken thighs on the traeger.
Lay a thigh out on 3 pieces of bacon, add a scoop of wild rice, mushrooms, asparagus(use your imagination), top with another thigh and wrap bacon around to hold it together with toothpicks. place on grill at 275f til proper temp for poultry and enjoy. No need to flip them the bacon just gets a little crisp on the bottom. Sometimes you need more bacon if the thighs are bigger;).

I'd have to agree on the pork. I've been bbq'ing a 32 lb turkey all day to free up some space in the freezer. I'd much rather be spending so much time on pork butt...

I'd have to agree on the pork. I've been bbq'ing a 32 lb turkey all day to free up some space in the freezer. I'd much rather be spending so much time on pork butt...

32#? That's a big boy! Did you wrap it in bacon?

You would enjoy stuffed boneless chicken thighs on the traeger.
Lay a thigh out on 3 pieces of bacon, add a scoop of wild rice, mushrooms, asparagus(use your imagination), top with another thigh and wrap bacon around to hold it together with toothpicks. place on grill at 275f til proper temp for poultry and enjoy. No need to flip them the bacon just gets a little crisp on the bottom. Sometimes you need more bacon if the thighs are bigger;).

Sounds great! Bacon has a way of making anything good.

E8F58725-1993-4841-AC30-FD44398D7B84.jpeg

I must confess. When I saw “some pig” in the thread title, this went through my mind.

I don't do chitterlings or sweetbread but just about any other part of Porky is delicious! I'm particularly fond of Carnitas, Mexican-style braised pork for those of you a bit farther south.... Chicken's okay, beef can be good but pork is what man was intended to eat!

Particularly cured and smoked.

I don't do chitterlings or sweetbread but just about any other part of Porky is delicious! I'm particularly fond of Carnitas, Mexican-style braised pork for those of you a bit farther south.... Chicken's okay, beef can be good but pork is what man was intended to eat!

Particularly cured and smoked.

Love sweetbreads and chitterlings. The wife won't let me cook chitterlings in the house. Says they smell like pig $hit :)
I love carnitas too and cook some up from time to time. Now I'm getting hungry.

Nowhere near the scale as you guys, but we did grill up some boneless porkchops on the charcoal Weber last night, and they were delicious. The wife marinated them in a honey, maple syrup (real maple syrup), Worcester, ketchup and mustard (mostly maple syrup). I find that pork chops (without a temperature probe) are tricky to cook as there’s a fine line between undercooked and over cooked, and I avoid doing the “cut and check” and see if they are done method.

I’m envious of you guys’ skills at bbq and sausage making etc. and I plan on ramping up in that department as early retirement looms closer and closer.

Last edited:
One of the first dinners my wife cooked for me was pork chops. I turned my lip when I saw them, and she noticed. My mother cooks pork chops until they are completely dried out. My wife makes juicy, perfectly done pork chops. It was like discovering a new food! We still joke about that 27 years later.

Back