New to kegging - some general questions

Kane Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All- started kegging recently and learning the basics! Have a mini 1.75 and just ordered a new 3 gallon. Working our way up! Can we dry hop something in the keg that’s already been carbonated? Beer Not tasting as good as it did prior to carbonating. Needs tweeking.

Can we take the remaining beer in a keg that has already been carbonated and bottle it? How long will that last? Is it the same as if you had bottle conditioned? I realize we may Intro some oxygen, but it’s not that much beer to worry about it.

Once we put a mini CO2 cartridge on a mini regulator can we remove it? I.e. let’s say we haven’t used all the gas and want to switch to a nitrogen cartridge? (Yes regulator is made for that pressure). Or after traveling with mini want to hook it back up to the 5# tank in the fridge?

Can We move beer that has been carbonated and partially consumed and rack it into a smaller keg? ie 5 into 3 or 3 into 1.75??

Thanks for any advise you’d like to share!

Hi All- started kegging recently and learning the basics! Have a mini 1.75 and just ordered a new 3 gallon. Working our way up! Can we dry hop something in the keg that’s already been carbonated? Beer Not tasting as good as it did prior to carbonating. Needs tweeking.

Can we take the remaining beer in a keg that has already been carbonated and bottle it? How long will that last? Is it the same as if you had bottle conditioned? I realize we may Intro some oxygen, but it’s not that much beer to worry about it.

Once we put a mini CO2 cartridge on a mini regulator can we remove it? I.e. let’s say we haven’t used all the gas and want to switch to a nitrogen cartridge? (Yes regulator is made for that pressure). Or after traveling with mini want to hook it back up to the 5# tank in the fridge?

Can We move beer that has been carbonated and partially consumed and rack it into a smaller keg? ie 5 into 3 or 3 into 1.75??

Thanks for any advise you’d like to share!

You can dry hop after the beer is carbonated using a fine mesh bag or other containment. If the keg fairly full be sure to get the lid on it really quickly or it will foam over.

You can bottle from the tap. There are a few methods people use. A beer gun, a growler filler or a home made hybrid bottle filler. The shelf life of the beer depends on the amount of O2 introduced when bottling. A web search will net you a bunch of methods when using different equipment.

Not sure about the mini regulator.

Lastly, you can transfer from one keg to another. Make up a line with Beer out disconnects on both ends. Purge the receiving keg with CO2, connect the beer out posts and vent with the pressure relief valve as you transfer.

Hope this helps.

This is basically what I use when I want to fill bottles or growlers. Comes in very handy when you want to share or need the keg space. It takes a little practice, but works very well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun.24678/

I also dry hop in the keg and from time to time, I have added a fresh round of hops if my drinking mojo is off and I'm not going through the keg quick enough. I've also dry hopped brews before that were just a little boring after awhile and needed a bit of something. May not be to any style, and doesn't work for everything. I've had the best luck with reds or ambers. Just can't go to overboard or the hops will seem way out of place.

Very interesting on the racking cane set up! I did some searching too and lots of possibilities.

Got ya on the dry hops, I’m going to give it a try!

Back