Would this recipe sink or swim?

Hop fiend

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm fairly new to brewing all grain, mostly doing pale ales from known recipes. I have a 10 gallon capacity so would like your opinions on this recipe before I commit to brewing it. I'm aiming for a strong English bitter with caramel notes and a hint of smoke. Like I say this is new ground for me so feel free to tell me exactly what you think!

9 kg ( 19.8lbs) Marris otter
500g (1.1lbs) Crystal malt (not sure how dark yet.)
200g (7 oz) Brown malt
200g (7 oz ) Aromatic malt
75g (2.6 oz) Roasted barley

Total malt bill: 9.975 kg / 21.94 lbs.
Target O.G 1.059
Target F.G 1.014- 1.020

30g (1 oz) Target @ 60 mins
40g (1.5 oz) East Kent Goldings @ 30 mins
60g (2.1 oz) East Kent Goldings @ 0 mins / whirlpool 20 mins.

I will use salts, CRS, etc to get the water on target but I'm
not sure of the yeast so what would you suggest?
Cheers, Ollie.

Last edited:
this is way to big for a 10 gallon pot, comes out black when I recreate it, what beer are you trying to make

Hi there Ozarks- my pot is actually 15 gallons. What I meant was I end up with 10 gallons in the fermenter. I'm trying to make a strong English bitter with caramel notes and a hint of smoke. Definitely more malt focused but balanced with softer English hops. I'm not really too bothered by the colour as long as I get the flavour right but I welcome any tips on achieving this.
Cheers.

Here's the full recipe..
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/205977

Your description of the profile sounds good...I am still a newbie myself so I will leave more experienced brewers to guide you. Here is a list of yeasts and someone's interpretation of the resulting flavors or maybe the mfg description. Either way I find it helpful when concocting a recipe.

http://www.onebeer.net/yeaststrains_ale.html

Wow that's really useful thanks Radcp!

the first time I looked the recipe was different, am I seeing things or did you change it

yes recreating that didnt make sense thanks for the clarification, Ill look at it again later

so everything looks good, it is going to be very malty and you might need some aging with 3 different malt flavors, they will need to blend and I would use C45 but that up to you, of course you need a spray bottle its going to boil over big time, good luck

so everything looks good, it is going to be very malty and you might need some aging with 3 different malt flavors, they will need to blend and I would use C45 but that up to you, of course you need a spray bottle its going to boil over big time, good luck

Thanks Ozarks, Malty is what I'm shooting for. Cheers for your help!

Back