Whirlpool Calculator

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the whirlpool calculator considers the hops already in the boil when calculating IBU? I'm brewing an amber that I want to have some decent hop presence, but not too much bitterness.

As far as I can tell, it ignores them. It’s imperfect that’s for sure. When I use it, I assume that my bitterness is slightly higher then the calculator shows. If you doing a 45-60 minute hop addition, those can be ignored for all practical purposes.

It takes a little bit of trial and error to find just the right whirlpool or hop stand additions. I assume that the late hops will add bitterness whether I add any hops after flameout or not.

I wouldn't think the calculator does, unless it asks for the time of the whirlpool. And your question keyed me on another idea as to why the "no mid-boil hops" camp came to be: Hops continue to isomerize at above 170 to 180 degrees F. So if you're putting your "10-minute" addition in, then whirlpooling for 10 minutes, your "10-minute" addition just became a 20 minute addition with attendant degradation of the volatile oils. The whirlpool addition wouldn't do much for the 60-minute hops, the extra ten minutes hardly increases the utilization. But it would have a profound impact on shorter boil adds. So maybe I've contradicted myself: Maybe the "no mid-boil hops" camp is on to something, assuming they do a whirlpool for every brew.

Single i do a European style cooling. IE after boil I siphon my piping hot wort into my primary fermenter and let it cool overnight or till it hits pitching temp. Late hop additions 15 minutes or less are not adding much aroma more like hop bittering. I've now got to treat them as hop-stands or whirlpools and estimate its adding 10% more ibu. So dry hopping is critical or adding hops at flame out and assuming 10% ibu add. I am now going to start using 30 min for the whirlpool to better estimate late additions of hops. this is my brew method I dont expect the software to adjust for my use here

That would be nice to be able to do but I think I'd melt my fermentors.

That would be nice to be able to do but I think I'd melt my fermentors.
i just use simple 6 gallon brewcraft 6 gallon bucket with lid. i cover the grommet airlock gasket hole with a small glass bowl and spray it and area with star san. i xfer to carboy after a few days

i just use simple 6 gallon brewcraft 6 gallon bucket with lid. i cover the grommet airlock gasket hole with a small glass bowl and spray it and area with star san. i xfer to carboy after a few days
you dont have hdpe cubes over there thats what the no chill lot do here in Aus.

you dont have hdpe cubes over there thats what the no chill lot do here in Aus.
We do but i see no need for one. I've been cooling my wort in a primary fermentor for years. Neverhad any issues

I also do a slow chill. I transfer to a sanitized bucket after the boil (everything, even break material) and throw that into a fridge overnight. Then I rack to my primary and pitch he following day. It's worked thus far, but maybe that's why my beers always seem a bit more bitter than the recipe builder would suggest. :D

How does everyone think this will work as a workaround:
If I add 28g hops at 5 minutes (assuming only a 60 min bittering addition otherwise) and whirlpool another 28g for 20 minutes, then in the calculator set up a second "whirlpool" for that 5 min addition as a 25 min whirlpool starting at 212F/100C?

If I add 28g hops at 5 minutes (assuming only a 60 min bittering addition otherwise) and whirlpool another 28g for 20 minutes, then in the calculator set up a second "whirlpool" for that 5 min addition as a 25 min whirlpool starting at 212F/100C?
I don't see any harm in that probably cut the 60min addition altogether.

It depends on your AA% of your hops and your target IBU's. Most times I don't make any correction other than what the calculator indicates. If your late additions are low in AA then it would be easier to ignore, higher then it might be harder. When in doubt add a little IBU's to the final number and wing it. Once you've done it a time or two you will get a feel for it.

Back