Thermometer

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
Is it terribly difficult to add a thermometer to a Rubbermaid cooler mash tun ?

All the hardware I've seen for adding thermometers are for a thin-walled kettles, not for a thermos/cooler.

The easiest way I know of is to use a thermometer with a 12" stem and drill a hole just slightly smaller than the stem in the center of the lid so you have to force it in. 12" should reach well into the mash in most cases and with a tight fit you won't lose measurable heat.

I prefer to use a floating thermometer since I'm opening the MLT to stir during the mash.

Last edited:
I have a BBQ thermometer with a waterproof probe that I just drop in the mash tun. I use it for my strike water too. It's got about a 4 foot cord on it.

I run gas so that wouldn't help me but that's a pretty neat idea.

Reactions: J A
I run gas so
Been thinking hard about a controller for a gas burner. Not sure how hard it would be to convert an existing burner, but it's pretty readily available technology.

Oh I expect it's doable, but I'm running things on the cheap so until I decide to build a full rig I'm likely to stick with the $20 option.

Not quite sure why you would need a thermometer in the mash tun. I do recommend the Thermoworks instant read thermometer though. Take your reading after mashing in, shouldn't change all that much over the next 45 minutes.

I don't really, but it also has the timer on it so I just stuff in it to monitor temps and turn the timer on.

I have a BBQ thermometer with a waterproof probe that I just drop in the mash tun. I use it for my strike water too. It's got about a 4 foot cord on it.
That sounds a better kind of thermometer.

Back