Spent grains for dog?

Korpi Brewery

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey. I know this issue has been around since the first ever batch of beer... ever.

What do you guys do with your spent grains?
Baking?
Animal feed?
Dog food? Maybe dog food? Perhaps mixed with vegetables and raw, fatty meat?

We can't give it to farmers, as all livestock feed producers must be registered and verified.

I'm thinking of making a beef porridge for my dog. What do you think?
grains.jpg

Hey. I know this issue has been around since the first ever batch of beer... ever.

What do you guys do with your spent grains?
Baking?
Animal feed?
Dog food? Maybe dog food? Perhaps mixed with vegetables and raw, fatty meat?

We can't give it to farmers, as all livestock feed producers must be registered and verified.

I'm thinking of making a beef porridge for my dog. What do you think?View attachment 2566
Since we live out in the country, we just feed it to the deer.

You can't give it to farmers? Really? That's weird. We make dog treats and human treats out of it mostly. If I lived closer to my brothers farm I'd give it to him for his pigs.

You can't give it to farmers? Really? That's weird. We make dog treats and human treats out of it mostly. If I lived closer to my brothers farm I'd give it to him for his pigs.

It is silly, but to my understanding it's a common requirement in Europe (EU) as per the European Feed Hygiene Requirements EC 183/2005. Perhaps something to do with all sorts of Bovine diseases in the near history. We could pass the grains to farms if we would register as "feed business operators" and operate in accordance to Hygiene Requirements.

We'll probably find other ways to deal with the grain...

Now about those dog treats. Do you have a recipe to share?

my dog likes spent grain but you have to be very careful it mildews in an hour

Either or. We freeze it, but she used one of those food dehydrators too, it just takes a long time.

I would maybe add something then bake it into small treats then freeze or food savor them

Nope.... not taking the risk. As soon as a farm animal would get sick... i’d be to blame. So the deer get to enjoy it. Last year we even had a black bear visit our spent grain pile

Can't give it to farmers? Read a couple of years ago that in California you can give spent grains to farmers, but you have to dry it first. What a bunch of dumba$$es. I guess wet grains are known by California to cause cancer like everything else. Gee they're smart! (NOT)

Found this on the internet. My neighborhood dogs and mine love these. Mildew in an hour? I guess I’ll believe that one later.

Dog Biscuit Recipe

(yields 40 medium-sized biscuits)

Ingredients

4 cups spent grain

1 cup peanut butter

2 cups flour

2 eggs

Step by step

1. Mix the ingredients together and press the dough onto parchment or wax paper, about 1⁄4 thick.

2. Cut the pressed dough into shapes with a cookie cutter or using a knife.

3. Place the treats onto parchment paper on cookie sheet and place in a 350 °F (177 °C) oven.

4. Bake at 350 °F (177 °C) for 30 minutes.

5. After 30 minutes, drop the oven heat to 225 °F (107 °C) and bake for two hours. When the treats come out they should be dry and crunchy so they do not spoil/mold. If they are not dry after two hours, increase time at 225 °F (107 °C). You want to dry them, but not

cook them to the point where they are hard to break.

I save some for bread and give the rest to my friend for his chickens

it tastes good in bread i give mine to the chooks sonetimes wheb a little too warm:rolleyes:. but the girls love it! i give em beer too just a little container...

Here in Maryland, breweries can give it away, but it all has to go to one farmer. I guess they don't want it to become a business or something

We feed our spent grains to our chickens and goats. I also dump spent grains, trub, etc directly into the garden and compost bins.

I always thought hops were bad for dogs?

Back