How are all your hops doing that you're growing?

its scorching hot down under in Aus ATM my hops have but two tiny measly buds on them. they have grown well but ive gotta get them in the ground and out of the pot i think...
Got a pic of those buds?

Got a pic of those buds?
hard to get a clean shot in this bright light but there ya go. i wasnt expecting much this furst year next year im hoping for better i just gotta find a good home for them round here abd get them in the ground.

20180213_140720.jpg

That's a bummer. Looks like it started forming but maybe got burnt?

well i hear our season runs for few months more time will tell. it is the subtropics heck atm it feels like the tropics!
Nice, makes me feel cold at 20f here. Can the wife and I camp in your back yard for a bit? I'll water the hops while there.

yeah my whole town was covered in ice the other day, my streets slope towards the side for water run off and I tested the ice by just standing on the slope and slid all the way to the curb without moving, at that point I just went in and sat in the recliner all day, funny how quiet it gets without traffic

yeah my whole town was covered in ice the other day, my streets slope towards the side for water run off and I tested the ice by just standing on the slope and slid all the way to the curb without moving, at that point I just went in and sat in the recliner all day, funny how quiet it gets without traffic

Well their saying this Winter Olympics are one of the coldest in some time too fells like our summer is the hottest for some time :p.

Man you know I've only seen the snow once and just a small receding melted patch. I've never seen it tumbling from the sky let alone as you describe Oz or entire towns trapped in ice yes it would be very quiet snows a good insulator right it would absorb the sound too I imagine. Ah well no need to use the Imersion chiller just plonk the kettle outside for while...

On brew days I push the snow into a pile on the back deck and set the pot in after brewing. Takes about 20 minutes to cool and no need for a chiller quite yet.

*On new years eve it was -10f and it took 8 minutes in the snow to get to 70f after a 10 minute stand

2 of 5 plants have hit the 7ft mark. The other 3 are not far behind. Now it's time to train them across the top of the patio for shade in August. They want to go up not over. If I feed them some of my 12% barleywine maybe they will lean that way!

20181223_130436.jpg

Here's a pick of me cascade hops growing out the front of my place. Have been growing heaps the last few weeks I piled some hay from Chooks laying box around the base to give them a real boost. Their just starting to develop little buds. Who said you can't grow hops in QLD:p.

Them hop cones are really fattening up now! Hey is it normal for the bud to be really opened up? View attachment 4841
My berries are typically pretty tight but do loosen up a bit when ripe. If you've been watering and feeding properly and they are starting to get that dry, papery/crinkly sound, they may be ready. Touch of brown on the tips is a sign also.
You're in a completely different environment from me so hard to say? I'm guessing your hops see some fairly intense heat? Just looking at your plants, they look healthy to me in the pictures.

Yes the heat could effect them quite a bit. They are like a flower so look for yellow powder down in the cones and watch for Brown edges. Good job !

Cheers All yes I have been pampering them like an only child. The heat hasn't been to bad most days around 30-33 c hotest has been 37. We're up in The hills in the hinterland so it's always a little cooler and wetter than down the coast. Thanks for the feed back!

Allrighty im need to consult the brains trust on this one... im probably having an (acronym inset here) moment but thought I'd double check.
I don't know if my hops are ready to pick yet some of them are going brown on the ends as in photo below and I'm thinking maybe this is a sign that maybe I should think about picking them...
20190205_142424.jpg

I've got some cones that have developed a week or two later and are quite green still. But these ones above have that papery sound when I squeeze them but they pop back out.
20190205_142337.jpg

They smell good there's heaps of lupulin in at the base on the pettles but don't want to pick an too green. I've been thinking of just picking off the ones that look like there ready and leaving the younger ones but trellis is so high I'll have to cut down the bine. Maybe I could cut it down pick em off then somehow string it back up?
I see new latterals starting to grow off the main vine too now.
20190205_142306.jpg

Hop harvest in aus according to my research is around feb-march so thats 3 weeks off but i feel ifni wait that long the cones may die offo_O.
Should I pick em?
Should I just relax and have a brewski?
Or Pick what I can and re string up the bines?
Cheers

Ok, I will throw in my 2c. Nice work Ben. The first two pics have cones that look ready. The cone in the last pic looks really nice and could wait a while. Last year I waited until all were very papery. But read recently that early harvest hops have a different flavor profile than late harvest hops. I would be inclined to pick all at once with a blend of maturities and call it a good year. Have few brewskis, get drying screens ready, vacuum packer, and a brew or two ready for fresh hops.:):):)

Ok, I will throw in my 2c. Nice work Ben. The first two pics have cones that look ready. The cone in the last pic looks really nice and could wait a while. Last year I waited until all were very papery. But read recently that early harvest hops have a different flavor profile than late harvest hops. I would be inclined to pick all at once with a blend of maturities and call it a good year. Have few brewskis, get drying screens ready, vacuum packer, and a brew or two ready for fresh hops.:):):)
Cheers Mate thanks for the reply We've got a tropical Low hovering around just North of us here so if all things go to plan I'll get Picking this weekend me thinks;)!

Cheers Mate thanks for the reply We've got a tropical Low hovering around just North of us here so if all things go to plan I'll get Picking this weekend me thinks;)!
Nice looking bines! If it were me I'd pick em all. Do put a few in the bottom of a glass and pour over for taste testing. With nighttime Temps. in the single digits I am really liking seeing that pretty green growth

Last edited:
Nice looking bines! If it were me I'd pick em all. Do put a few in the bottom of a glass and pour over for taste testing. With nighttime Temps. in the single digits I am really liking seeing that pretty green growth
Hmmm great ideah on the taste test there headfirst. Yes I am excited to hopefully soon brewing up a batch with these cascade hops takes the Homebrew to a new level I recon.

Back