How are all your hops doing that you're growing?

Did dig down 1.5 ft or so and did a 50/50 blend of peat moss and compost. Monthly applications of slow release fertilizer and
5-0-0 with every watering this last 4 weeks definitely been a learning process

If I feed I use a balanced 16-16-16 slow release but haven't fertilized this year. We water every day with good black topsoil for a base you can't over water here. They really do suck up the water while growing.

the tiny holes in the leaves are mights if you can get some sulfur powder sprinkle on all of the leaves and on the ground near the stem they will leave in a few days

the tiny holes in the leaves are mights if you can get some sulfur powder sprinkle on all of the leaves and on the ground near the stem they will leave in a few days
These holes are the same as the flea beetles that get into the radishes and green beans when young. I usually use some soap spray if they get to bad but sulfur powder would help if powdery mildew showed up too. Will keep that in mind.

I have trouble with this powdery mildew on me zucchini ive herd copper sulphate works good as well not sure if thats the same as that sulpur powder.

How many varieties do you grow Starter Hops?
In the ground here I think I have 19 varieties. I'm cloning and selling around 13-14 cultivars this year which includes several heirlooms. But I'm more of a nursery than a hopyard-- all my leading bines I cut down to root.

Tonight I give a brief talk about hops over dinner at a farm growing rye 3 miles from home. I'm loading up my daughter's red wagon with the coleman cooler full of homebrews, and strapping a rack of hop plants on top of that and walking over. A well respected local brewery is running a shuttle bus to the farm with the attendees, and I'll meet the bus over there. Sustainable agriculture, local ingredients, and community is the name of the game.

In the ground here I think I have 19 varieties. I'm cloning and selling around 13-14 cultivars this year which includes several heirlooms. But I'm more of a nursery than a hopyard-- all my leading bines I cut down to root.

Tonight I give a brief talk about hops over dinner at a farm growing rye 3 miles from home. I'm loading up my daughter's red wagon with the coleman cooler full of homebrews, and strapping a rack of hop plants on top of that and walking over. A well respected local brewery is running a shuttle bus to the farm with the attendees, and I'll meet the bus over there. Sustainable agriculture, local ingredients, and community is the name of the game.

Nice,we grew a country like that it is good to hear that going on more and more.
I grew up near an older homestead established late 1800's. There are some hops growing there on the side of the old machine shed. I haven't had a chance to see them ripe yet but was wondering if you could have any idea of what variety would have been grown back then. Its a grandson that is living there now and his parents were tea totelers so the hops have to be pre 1940ish?

Last year i came across some 'wild' hops growing alongside a railway.Made a 'bitter' with them and it actually wasn't too bad at all.Obviously don't have a clue what they were or the AA of them. Took a few cuttings and one took ok and is growing like stink. Going to put it into a big pot in the autumn and see how it goes next year:)

I was lucky enough to be given some cascade, chinook and centennial rhizomes. The cascades haven't made it, but the chinook and centennials are growing. The weather here is hot and humid, so they aren't exactly going crazy. Will be interesting to see what kind of crop I get, if any...

I was lucky enough to be given some cascade, chinook and centennial rhizomes. The cascades haven't made it, but the chinook and centennials are growing. The weather here is hot and humid, so they aren't exactly going crazy. Will be interesting to see what kind of crop I get, if any...
My climate here in Aus can be like that this is why I've been hesitant on getting some ryzomes me self. So interesting to here they are still at least growing ok. Any buds?

in most cases it takes 2 years to get a good harvest so don't expect much this year

No buds that I can see. The chinook is definately the most vigorous grower. The centennials are growing but not vigorously. I have heard that the first year is all about the roots and the plant isn't putting energy into its growth above ground. So, fingers crossed.

Just planted my cascade hop Ryhzome its verging on spring here in sunny QLD shouldnt be long fingers crossed and some hop shoots should be emerging.

I didnt have a clue where these buds are so just planted horrizontally a couple inches under soil.

Attachments

• 20170810_145143.jpg
    20170810_145143.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 158
Awesome! Curious how they will do down there. I been busy with enjoying summer here but have been dropping a few fresh hops on head of copper king red ipa. They do add some aroma. The way they are coming on will get more than I can use so picking a few for each beer won't be an issue.

My climate here in Aus can be like that this is why I've been hesitant on getting some ryzomes me self. So interesting to here they are still at least growing ok. Any buds?
I can confirm that I have Chinook buds! Centennial still limping along. No buds there...Hadn't checked up on them since a typhoon rolled through last weekend, so pleasantly surprised they survived.

Doing some research online for growing hops in SE Queensland i hear Chinook loves it cascade not so much so will try Chinook if these fail. More Nobel hops like hellartau don't like it at all.

Good old Pride of Ringwood loves it here too but mmmm I've hardly used these Aussie hops in a brew other than Bittering.

upload_2017-8-11_8-29-16.png

These are quite carried away. I didn't thin them out enough early in the season. They were trained to go over rope to the house for patio shade but I am putting a brace under the ropes this morning to relieve some of the side pull on the uprights. I have no idea how many pounds we will get this year but not hesitating to throw a few into each beer I drink for added aroma:D.

Growing my own hops has and is a humbling practice in horticulture. Chinook has got a decent amount of cones starting to fill out- my horizon plant is trying to convert its burrs into cones. If I can get everything I have through to harvest I should have enough for a decent fresh hop IPA
I just would like to have one week where both my plants don't look like I'm killing them :oops:

Well I'm stoked to see just I think two weeks after planting my cascade rhyzomes i see little shoots emerging from the ground:p yep they grow in Queensland,!! Only early days though...:rolleyes:

I got em in a pot for now...

Put an offer in on a house so may be on the move soon....

Well I'm stoked to see just I think two weeks after planting my cascade rhyzomes i see little shoots emerging from the ground:p yep they grow in Queensland,!! Only early days though...:rolleyes:

I got em in a pot for now...

Put an offer in on a house so may be on the move soon....
Good for you. Thought they might not like the climate. Maybe the Green man's not-so-green fingers killing off the cascades! Went to the plot today and needed a machete to get through the weeds. Crazy.
Good luck the growing and the moving.

Well its been about 3 weeks since i planted that cascade Ryhzome and it looks to me like ive got 3 bines emerged so far from the pot. Will be interesting how they handle the hot summer and high humidity here but so far so good.

Question do i trim off one bine and leave two growing ive read that online?
They will eventually go in the ground just inbetween houses atm so will wait till the dust settles and see where we are at.

Attachments

• 20170901_154504.jpg
    20170901_154504.jpg
    790.2 KB · Views: 179

Back