How are all your hops doing that you're growing?

Don,t remember where I heard it but I left 4 main ones . If the 3 grow quite a bit before any others come out maybe stick wiith them. The first year they are establishing roots, that's why you keep the bines down.to just a few. They look good so far!
Well its been about 3 weeks since i planted that cascade Ryhzome and it looks to me like ive got 3 bines emerged so far from the pot. Will be interesting how they handle the hot summer and high humidity here but so far so good.

Question do i trim off one bine and leave two growing ive read that online?
They will eventually go in the ground just inbetween houses atm so will wait till the dust settles and see where we are at.

Thanks headfirst i made some pretty ritch soil compost worm castings and cow manure mixed all that added some blood and bone for good measure then put in the Ryhzome just below the soil. Yeah i thought i may of mafe it too ritch but doesnt seem to be at this point.

Will be interesting how they handle our humid summers

My cutting of a wild hop is up around 10 feet now,no cones however but didn't expect any for year one.
The wild hops growing along the railway line near my house have gone bonkers again,full of cones,infact far more than last year.Mind you it's been a good year so far for all sorts of fruit as well!

Interesting thread! I planted 3 each of Willamette, Crystal and Cascade ryhzomes this spring along a 10' deer fence that surrounds our garden. Just dried and vacuum packed 3 lbs of cones into 2 oz packages. Not bad for first year.

Interesting thread! I planted 3 each of Willamette, Crystal and Cascade ryhzomes this spring along a 10' deer fence that surrounds our garden. Just dried and vacuum packed 3 lbs of cones into 2 oz packages. Not bad for first year.

Sounds like an excellent start. The deer usually eat the bottom 4ft of leaves off of ours so I don't have to trim them but not this year. 10 feet won't be enough in the future you're going to have to put some taller stakes:D

Sounds like an excellent start. The deer usually eat the bottom 4ft of leaves off of ours so I don't have to trim them but not this year. 10 feet won't be enough in the future you're going to have to put some taller stakes:D
The deer seem more interested in other plants around the house. Also, the hops are planted inside the fence and can be easily extended to 20' if necessary.

The deer seem more interested in other plants around the house. Also, the hops are planted inside the fence and can be easily extended to 20' if necessary.
If you got that good of a crop the first year be prepared for 20 ft next year:D

I have counted a grand total of two cones on my hops...but it is the first year so maybe that's average. The hops are in full sun though. Is that recommended?

I have counted a grand total of two cones on my hops...but it is the first year so maybe that's average. The hops are in full sun though. Is that recommended?
I'm not an expert on the subject, but all the hops in Oregon are in full sun. Next year when the roots are established you should have more than enough. Where in Japan are you?

I'm not an expert on the subject, but all the hops in Oregon are in full sun. Next year when the roots are established you should have more than enough. Where in Japan are you?
I'm down in Kagoshima. Very warm and humid. My cascades never made it out of the ground. How about you?

I'm down in Kagoshima. Very warm and humid. My cascades never made it out of the ground. How about you?
I see where Kagoshima is. Nice! South of Central Oregon, more like Southern California. My 3 Cascade rhizomes did make it up and produced a 5 gallon bucket of small cones. Keep trying.

I don't have a compost bin at home so give them to neighbors to feed chickens and compost

Its been three full on months since planting this cascade and just recently its went bonkers as in three more bines have literally shot up out the pot before my eyes. Ive rewarded this cascade with a liberal dousing of cow manure. Ive not cut any bines back because giving it free reign whilsts its developing.

That next photo is that flowers emerging out from the stem or am i just imagining things.

20171220_161818.jpg
20171220_161918.jpg

It could be where the cones will form or could just be branching out. Be sure to tell the gals your very proud of them and what wonderful beer they will make.

Just giving this a bump to see how the hops did down under. Just got 6 more inches of snow on mine so not expecting sprouts for quite a while.

Just giving this a bump to see how the hops did down under. Just got 6 more inches of snow on mine so not expecting sprouts for quite a while.
its scorching hot down under in Aus ATM my hops have but two tiny measly buds on them. they have grown well but ive gotta get them in the ground and out of the pot i think...

yep winter is a bitch this year, I'm not liking it at all
I hear you are getting an ice storm:(
its scorching hot down under in Aus ATM my hops have but two tiny measly buds on them. they have grown well but I've gotta get them in the ground and out of the pot i think...
Would help. In pots I never had great plants. The heat would make it worse. They gotta grow there. There are lots of varieties from around there. You may have to try some different ones.

Back