No sign of fermentation in 24 hours

okoncentrerad

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed an English Bitter, which I mentioned here, and the first one since I decided to make a few changes on my brewing procedure (such as; different water, better check of temperature for both mashing and fermentation)

The brew itself went pretty smoothly and for the first time I used liquid yeast mentioned in the above link, Wyeast ESB 1968. However, it's 24 hours since pitching now and I can't see neither air lock activity nor any visible krausen in the fermentor.

I followed instructions on the yeast pack, smacked the nutrient bag, shaked, and let it all sit in room temperature for a 3 hours. I pitched in somewhat too cool wort I think, it was close to 16.5 C (62F) instead of the expected 18C (64F), that was last night 8pm or so. This morning the temperature was 20C (68F) which I intended to keep for some days. Thinking back, I did aerate the wort before pitching, shaking it quite a bit, but I don't think I did anything after pitching. I just poured the yeast in and sealed with the lid.

Is there anything I should do, any actions to be taken? Or sit and wait and hope for the best?

Did the yeast pack swell up ? if not, did you feel around and verify that the inner packet did break open? If you did in fact break the inner packet and the yeast pack didn't swell up after 3 hours at room temperature, the yeast viability and/or health is questionable. It isn't odd to get dated or mishandled liquid yeast. One reason I started using dry yeast when available for the style I'm brewing. Depending on the OG and batch size, you may also have under pitched and should have made a starter.

Let it go for another 12 or so hours. If you still have no signs of fermentation repitch and hope your sanitizing was good enough that you don't get an infection in the meantime.

that yeast is very unpredictable, it can be a monster but also very slow then sometimes not finish well, just wait to see if foam appears for a couple of days, if not pitch something else

Yes. Wait. Also, RDWHAHB.
Yes...doing just that atm ;)
Did the yeast pack swell up ? if not, did you feel around and verify that the inner packet did break open? If you did in fact break the inner packet and the yeast pack didn't swell up after 3 hours at room temperature, the yeast viability and/or health is questionable. It isn't odd to get dated or mishandled liquid yeast. One reason I started using dry yeast when available for the style I'm brewing. Depending on the OG and batch size, you may also have under pitched and should have made a starter.

Let it go for another 12 or so hours. If you still have no signs of fermentation repitch and hope your sanitizing was good enough that you don't get an infection in the meantime.
The pack was from Nov 27 so it was fairly new. I noticed the inner packet was broken when I opened it so I assume it was correct. I THINK it swollowed while resting...not immensly though. I didn't under pitch, the opposite probably, I make rather small batches and used the whole packet.

that yeast is very unpredictable, it can be a monster but also very slow then sometimes not finish well, just wait to see if foam appears for a couple of days, if not pitch something else
I'll be patient :)

Thank's all...some day I will get the hang of it all, I guess I just want too much too soon :rolleyes:

Yes...doing just that atm ;)
The pack was from Nov 27 so it was fairly new. I noticed the inner packet was broken when I opened it so I assume it was correct. I THINK it swollowed while resting...not immensly though. I didn't under pitch, the opposite probably, I make rather small batches and used the whole packet.

I'll be patient :)

Thank's all...some day I will get the hang of it all, I guess I just want too much too soon :rolleyes:
According to the BF yeast calculator, that yeast is less than half viable. (47 Billion of 100 Billion). Did you account for that and make a yeast starter accordingly?

According to the BF yeast calculator, that yeast is less than half viable. (47 Billion of 100 Billion). Did you account for that and make a yeast starter accordingly?
Yes, I used the calculator and the outcome was that starter wasn't necessary for my amount of wort (9 liter which I think is about 2.5 gallon?)

Considering the temperature you pitched at, it would not be unusual (in my experience, at least) for the yeast to take longer to start to show signs of activity. As others have said, RDWHAHB. If at 72 hours you still se no activity, take a gravity reading to see if anything has happened. I have in the past had fermentations go so fast that I brewed and pitched my yeast on Sunday morning and by Monday morning it was pretty much done.

I will be Mr. Patient!

48 hours now and still no sign of activity. So just out of curiosity, if/when I decide to repitch, how do I do? Is it ok too re-aerate the wort when pitching, or just toss the yeast in? Would it be any difference in the repitching procedure whether using dry or liquid yeast?

But...don't worry, at the moment im RDWHAHB-ing :)

Since there are no signs of fermentation I would pitch the yeast as you normally would an initial pitch.

I will be Mr. Patient!

48 hours now and still no sign of activity. So just out of curiosity, if/when I decide to repitch, how do I do? Is it ok too re-aerate the wort when pitching, or just toss the yeast in? Would it be any difference in the repitching procedure whether using dry or liquid yeast?

But...don't worry, at the moment im RDWHAHB-ing :)
Take a hydrometer reading and see if fermentation is or has happened. Some of the yeasts can work very fast.... By no activity I assume you mean no bubbles from the airlock - most common cause of that is a gas leak somewhere. Trust your instruments, take a gravity reading!

Take a hydrometer reading and see if fermentation is or has happened. Some of the yeasts can work very fast.... By no activity I assume you mean no bubbles from the airlock - most common cause of that is a gas leak somewhere. Trust your instruments, take a gravity reading!
With activity I meant both air lock bubbles and visible krausen in the fermenting bucket!

Yesterday before bed time, at T + 50h, I decided (right or wrong...) I should take some actions before eventually tossing in some more yeast today. I gave the bucket a bit of a rouse for a while and raised the temp. somewhat. This morning...been starting to bubble! Not sure if it was because of my actions but who cares. Hopefully still be activity later this evening when I'm back from work, fingers crossed. And also hopefully, no need for more yeast.

With activity I meant both air lock bubbles and visible krausen in the fermenting bucket!

Yesterday before bed time, at T + 50h, I decided (right or wrong...) I should take some actions before eventually tossing in some more yeast today. I gave the bucket a bit of a rouse for a while and raised the temp. somewhat. This morning...been starting to bubble! Not sure if it was because of my actions but who cares. Hopefully still be activity later this evening when I'm back from work, fingers crossed. And also hopefully, no need for more yeast.
Nevertheless, take the hydrometer reading. Lots of things can happen to make you miss the fermentation and not all yeasts foam up. The instrument is your friend. Use it. Your bubbles now can be escaping CO2. The gravity doesn't lie, though.

I've absolutely had things fully ferment out on me with no noticeable activity. It weirded the hell out of me, but it happens.

I fully agree on the patience and taking a gravity. If you do need to repitch, would recommend you make a starter and pitch that after spinning for 18-24 hours. The yeast will be primed to help you out.

Thanks but I do think it's on its way down now, took a reading this morning with SG 1.016. It's been bubbling away pretty good since about tuesday morning. Getting a bubble every 40 seconds or so now so it's getting finished soon I guess. Will leave it in fermentor until next weekend I think, to let things settle properly.

My RIS is 6 days in and I'm still seeing a bit of activity. The SG when I checked yesterday..? was 1.022 which is well below the predicted 1.040 but I used the porter yeast cake so I had some real power brought on that. My math shows around 10.4%, and since I don't know what a RIS is supposed to taste like I don't know if I have a good one or not.

Back