Cereal Mashing - Peanut Butter Crunch

Kleczd65

Trial Member
Reaction score
Looking to make a peanut butter blonde ale and I came across a forum on another site (from like 2010) talking about using PB Capitan Crunch in the mash.

Is this real life? Would this work? What about all the preservatives?

just add to a food processor and create a powder, that will add the flavor and sugar, you will still need a base malt

If I were adding PBC, I wouldn’t worry about OG. I’d take what I got. Maybe I’d assume the cereal was good for 2 points, but like OMB says, who knows? You’ll have a better idea the second time you make it.

All you have to do is look at the nutritional information. It'll tell you how many grams of sugar are in the box, it'll also tell you how many grams of carbs which are at least partially convertible starches. That'll give you a good idea of what it'll add to OG
You will add all the yucky vitamin and preservative flavor. I don't even think you have to crush it up...just throw it in like flaked corn or rice and it'll essentially disappear.

Still pretty unsure if I want to do it because of all the nasties in it

One of our brew club members made a Fruity Pebbles Blond Ale. It was sort of pink and tasted like basic beer with a little vitamin. Some people like the novelty, but I'd never waste my time with flavored stuff like that. Grapenuts, on the other hand might make an interesting addition and is something I've considered.

whateva you do boil the heck out of it! itll help with any starch haze heck make sure you add some acid too for good coagulation to try and drop them before the feementor.

A somewhat local brewery (Burley Oak) did a cereal killer series of beers. Cinnamon toast crunch and fruity pebbles for sure, not sure what else they used. They're small, so I'm sure they didn't do anything too fancy with how they added it.

How much do you think it will mess with my OG
You can almost consider it pure sugar - I'd go with DME as a first estimator (42 ppg), then adjust from there. The sugars will ferment as-is, the enzymes in the mash will convert the starches. As to the preservatives, the yeast pitch should be enough to overcome them. You may get some underattenuation because potassium sorbate prevents the yeast from reproducing.

Looking to make a peanut butter blonde ale and I came across a forum on another site (from like 2010) talking about using PB Capitan Crunch in the mash.

I'm looking at doing some cereal brews, how did it end up?

Anyone here ever stepped into the cereal world?
I've just started to take notice of what the dudes at 8 Bit Ale Works are doing with it and I'm kind of excited to venture off in that same direction!

We've got a few breweries doing cereals around here. Weldwerks had a great one awhile back using Cocoa Puffs that was fabulous. I was really impressed. Lactose seems to be a common ingredient in these brews.

Anyone here ever stepped into the cereal world?
I've just started to take notice of what the dudes at 8 Bit Ale Works are doing with it and I'm kind of excited to venture off in that same direction!
Look on the back for added sugars - they'll ferment out, adding only alcohol. Some cereals have so much sugar you may as well be adding adjunct sugar. And you have to imagine the flavor of the cereal without the sugar to imagine what it would do in the beer. Or are you talking about cereal mashing, a plunge I intend to take next time I do my Mexican Dunkel?

We've got a few breweries doing cereals around here. Weldwerks had a great one awhile back using Cocoa Puffs that was fabulous. I was really impressed. Lactose seems to be a common ingredient in these brews.

Local Brewery is releasing a Count Chocula stout today, I'm gonna go get some here shortly. I was talking to the dudes a couple weeks ago about using cereal, and they just dump it in during the boil. I'd like to try secondary with one myself, and then try to move up to dumping some in a cask like the guys are doing over there at 8-Bit Ale Works. If I do a cereal stout I will add some lactose for sure!

Look on the back for added sugars - they'll ferment out, adding only alcohol. Some cereals have so much sugar you may as well be adding adjunct sugar. And you have to imagine the flavor of the cereal without the sugar to imagine what it would do in the beer. Or are you talking about cereal mashing, a plunge I intend to take next time I do my Mexican Dunkel?

I'd really like to just jump in there head first and throw it in secondary on my first try because id like to really taste the cereal, my end goal would be pouring it into a cask. Like I said, id also be up for stout with the cereal being thrown in there during the boil.

Keeps us posted how things turn out. I've had really, really, good beers with cereal added. I've also had a few that really weren't good at all. I had a blonde with Fruity Pebbles that was just wrong!
Green River. Is that on the western slope of WY? Never been that far west in Wyoming. Snowy Range or Laramie is about as far as I've gone west in your state. Did a little search. Looks to be nice country!
Here's the Weldwerks that is fabulous.
20180804_162351-1024x1365.jpg

Last edited:

Back