Weiss beer banana

Samantha

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I made an all grain weiss beer on Thursday. The OG was 1.050 and today (Saturday ) it is 1. 031. I am keeping the fermentation temperature at around 18 degrees Celsius. I used safale WB06 yeast. The banana flavour/nose is already very prominent almost a bit much. Will it tone down when fermentation is complete? Also why has the gravity dropped so rapidly? I have made quite a lot of Weiss beer and have never had any of the above happen so am keen to know what caused this. Is my beer going to be good or am I sitting with a possible wasted batch?

Hi there, I made an all grain weiss beer on Thursday. The OG was 1.050 and today (Saturday ) it is 1. 031. I am keeping the fermentation temperature at around 18 degrees Celsius. I used safale WB06 yeast. The banana flavour/nose is already very prominent almost a bit much. Will it tone down when fermentation is complete? Also why has the gravity dropped so rapidly? I have made quite a lot of Weiss beer and have never had any of the above happen so am keen to know what caused this. Is my beer going to be good or am I sitting with a possible wasted batch?
Pretty normal fermentation progress. The banana may or may not tone down but I'd bet it will.

I used safale WB06 yeast. The banana flavour/nose is already very prominent almost a bit much. Will it tone down when fermentation is complete?
I've used that yeast...yes, it definitely loses some esters. I'm surprised it didn't drop even further in 3 days. If the temp had been 20C or higher, it could fermented much lower in that amount of time.
It's tempting to take gravity readings to see how it's progressing, but doing so before at least week is usually a waste unless you're intentionally speed-brewing and it risks contamination unduly.

In my experience most wheat beer yeast, if I remember correctly puts off banana at lower temps and leans toward clove on the upper end. I don't like bananas so I ferment warmer. In general lower temps usually give you a cleaner beer. I'm with nosey, I think it will clean out mostly, and you shouldn't get much clove fermenting down there.

In my experience most wheat beer yeast, if I remember correctly puts off banana at lower temps and leans toward clove on the upper end. I don't like bananas so I ferment warmer. In general lower temps usually give you a cleaner beer. I'm with nosey, I think it will clean out mostly, and you shouldn't get much clove fermenting down there.
That's where the refractometer and correction software come in very handy - you know where you are in the fermentation at the cost of a couple drops of beer! And I think it's the other way around: Clove flavors come in at cooler temps, banana at warmer.

if I remember correctly puts off banana at lower temps and leans toward clove on the upper end.
Everything I've read and experienced shows the opposite, as Nosy points out.

That's where the refractometer and correction software come in very handy - you know where you are in the fermentation at the cost of a couple drops of beer! And I think it's the other way around: Clove flavors come in at cooler temps, banana at warmer.
I also know it to be clove at cooler and banana at higher that's why I am surprised as the temp is quite low. As mentioned in another reply I suppose the banana will tone down and give way for the clove to come through. Thank you.

I've used that yeast...yes, it definitely loses some esters. I'm surprised it didn't drop even further in 3 days. If the temp had been 20C or higher, it could fermented much lower in that amount of time.
It's tempting to take gravity readings to see how it's progressing, but doing so before at least week is usually a waste unless you're intentionally speed-brewing and it risks contamination unduly.
Agreed re contamination risk (altough I am super careful) but I was checking my IPAs, which are older, and I was just too excited to see what was going on with the weiss I'll leave it alone now...

Reactions: J A
but I was checking my IPAs, which are older, and I was just too excited to see what was going on with the weiss
I often do the same thing if I'm curious about a particular pitch. I checked my RIS, pitched on S-04 full-batch cake a couple of days into fermentation. Since it's a club brew that's on a deadline for a cooperative barrel-fill project, there's a deadline on getting it finished out and I was amazed to find that a 1.100 wort went down to 1.030 in 48 hours.

70 points that's a lot of happy yeast munching away on sugars in there JA air lock musta been rocking!

Opps, should have checked my records before popping in. My bad.
I still don't like bananas.

Opps, should have checked my records before popping in. My bad.
I still don't like bananas.
Ferrulic acid rest (about 115 degrees, ten minutes), then cool fermentation. Balances the beer toward the clovy end of the weissbier scale. And my apologies: In another thread, I may have misspoke on use of "weissbier". Germans do it too, it means "white beer". The German add for Erdinger Weissbier keeps running through my head as punishment for my misdeeds....

I'm assuming that you're referring to the actual taste/smell that you observed when you pulled your sample, not the smell from the air lock.

I used a different yeast (wlp300) in the recent hefeweizen i brewed on new years day but the banana esters calmed down as the fermentation process completed. it also diminished a bit after aging in the bottle. the clove bite and pear nose from the cool phase of my fermentation has increased with the bottle age. i started low (62 deg f) and ramped up to close to 70 deg f at day 3.

at your temp 18 C (64 deg F), the profile should be a decent balance of clove and banana. if banana is overwhelming, it should subside a bit. with my hefe, i notice that the banana fades after i've let it breath in a glass for a few minutes.

Back