Weiss beer banana flavour

Samantha

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey fellowfbrewsters, i brewed an all grain weiss beer on Thursday. The OG was 1.050 and today (Saturday ) it is 1. 031. I am keeping the fermentation temperature at around 18 degrees Celsius. I used safale WB06 yeast. The banana flavour/nose is already very prominent almost a bit much. Will it tone down when fermentation is complete? Also why has the gravity dropped so rapidly? I have made quite a lot of Weiss beer and have never had any of the above happen so am keen to know what caused this. Is my beer going to be good or am I sitting with a possible wasted batch?

You should put this post up on general brewing forum. WIll probably get more response, this forum is for technical issues about site mostly.

WB-06 is not a banana forward yeast and this can be read on different forums. WB-06 is really clovey and will attenuate more than needed for a hefe. Also, WB-06 will drive the final beer pH lower than most beers, which will result in a very tangy/tart beer, that has not much in common with hefe beers. Banana flavours and esters are produced whenm fermentering warm, between 20 and 23 C with specific yeast strains that are known to produce banana flavours. WB-06 is not one of them. If you like tart and clove, you will like it, maybe...

Back