Weiss beer banana flavour

Discussion in 'Recipe Editor' started by Samantha, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Samantha

Samantha New Member

Hey fellowfbrewsters, i brewed an all grain weiss beer on Thursday. The OG was 1.050 and today (Saturday ) it is 1. 031. I am keeping the fermentation temperature at around 18 degrees Celsius. I used safale WB06 yeast. The banana flavour/nose is already very prominent almost a bit much. Will it tone down when fermentation is complete? Also why has the gravity dropped so rapidly? I have made quite a lot of Weiss beer and have never had any of the above happen so am keen to know what caused this. Is my beer going to be good or am I sitting with a possible wasted batch?

2. Medarius

Medarius Active Member

successfully retired
    You should put this post up on general brewing forum. WIll probably get more response, this forum is for technical issues about site mostly.

3. thehaze

thehaze Active Member

WB-06 is not a banana forward yeast and this can be read on different forums. WB-06 is really clovey and will attenuate more than needed for a hefe. Also, WB-06 will drive the final beer pH lower than most beers, which will result in a very tangy/tart beer, that has not much in common with hefe beers. Banana flavours and esters are produced whenm fermentering warm, between 20 and 23 C with specific yeast strains that are known to produce banana flavours. WB-06 is not one of them. If you like tart and clove, you will like it, maybe...

4. Samantha

Samantha New Member

Sorry, will do that now.