Kettle markings

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
How would one add gallon markings to the inside of a stainless kettle. I've tried etching with a dremel tool but not what I'm looking to do.

Electrochemical etching - works like a champ! I've done it to two of my kettles, may add some additional markings to my new one. Forgot to mention, there's an article in either BYO or Zymurgy on how to do it.

I just added sightglass and used a permanent marker , very low tech but works well
I went with the sight glass as well. When I brew outdoors in winter here in Montreal, there is so much steam coming off the wort that I could never see markings inside a kettle. The sight glass works year round.

Thanks for link Thundr.. never ceases to amaze me how the best ideas turn out to be the most simple. Just finished marking my pot using this method. Was quick and easy.

You bet! I've haven't done it yet myself, but wanted to for awhile, but just haven't gotten it done. I use a depth measure and calculate based on temperature. Which is surprisingly accurate.

http://manskirtbrewing.com/calculators.aspx

Last edited:
Too funny. My 18 year old son was just doing that on his Leatherman. Before this thread, I’d never heard of it.

Too funny. My 18 year old son was just doing that on his Leatherman. Before this thread, I’d never heard of it.

Good idea by your young-un, as someone who had at least 4 leatherman tools "walk-off' , when they're tagged it's much easier to recover them.

Just etched my 20 gal brew pot in 1 gal increments and only labeled 5, 10, 15 gal marks . Any more would be overkill considering my brewing habits. Worked great but I used a 12 volt battery, much faster.

I have a site glass and my measurements include my losses through my system so etching my pots wouldn't get used but great you guys have something that works

Back