CO2 PURITY AND WHY IT’S IMPORTANT

I might someday try it but right now if O2 gets into my brew it gets in, I don't worry much.

Just an interesting read is all, and i rest my case.

Attachments

• received_1812219022131272.jpeg
    received_1812219022131272.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 118
Just an interesting read is all, and i rest my case.
I think so too. I’m not sure what I’m going to do about it, but it’s sobering, no pun intended.

Right now, if I can keep o2 down to 125-300ppb, I’ll be estactic.

Thanks for the post Crunk, and as always, brew on.

Last edited:
Was looking for a triangle test and found this from Brulosophy: http://brulosophy.com/2017/04/10/th...ow-oxygen-brewing-method-exbeeriment-results/. No disrespect Crunk, as I think its great that you dove in that deep, it's just a little too involved for my hobby/enjoyment and although the science might support it, reality seems mixed.

That's the best part about this hobby you don't have to follow anybody just follow your taste buds and your heart, it will all work itself out.

Lodo may help get an extra tiny tiny edge but for learner brewers recipe formulation, process ( hot and cold side ) , and yeast all have far greater impacts .

Yesterday I was searching for info on this from another forum post and stumbled across a very well said post by a SUPER MODERATOR at a beverage - restaurant etc forum and he had this to say, which I quote from him directly as otherwise I'd write it down and repeat it.. LOL " All I've found on this subject is that there is no 'food grade' co2. There are food grade co2 tanks that are glass lined, and have to be washed prior to each fill. There is a small possibilitly of the beverage backing up into the co2 tank if the tank runs out, and then an even smaller chance of the tank rusting and that rust being introduced back into the beverage. The co2 provided by all the national suppliers is the same, 99.97% or 99.98% co2 or something along that lines. I've seen medical grade, which is 99.99%, but I doubt your going to find anyone supplying it at a retail level.

Bottom line, don't bother looking for food grade co2. Anyone charging extra for it is simply making a few extra bucks. There are tens of thousands of kegerator owners getting their co2 from industrial welding suppliers and paintball stores for 20+ years. If it were a health issue, the FDA would have been all over it long ago."

It does seem worrying about CO2 purity is a solution in search of a problem. :)

Back