Eeeek! 170s f (80+c) Mash!

The Green Man

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, on my most recent brew day I was having trouble getting my Mash temp right. No, I didn't measure the grain temp and calculate the strike temp...(that was my lesson from this episode 'don't try to guesstimate this')
Anyway, I made the executive decision to put the hob (Halogen, I think) on the lowest setting and left it for about 15 mins. I was expecting a slow creep-up in temp, but to my horror when I returned both Mash vessels (a pasta pot and big saucepan...) were reading over 80c.
I took immediate action dropping in ice cubes and removing insulation etc... and the temp came down pretty quick.
I know that high temp mash is supposed to result in astringency, but thankfully my gravity samples didn't have any detectable mouth-puckering element. I drink my samples with whisky that night or the next day and in fact the colour was amazing and it was very clear too.
Have I escaped? Or, does the astringency take a while to develop/ come to the fore?
The link to the recipe is below. It is an Irish Red Ale...well that was the idea anyway...

<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/588318" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Well, on my most recent brew day I was having trouble getting my Mash temp right. No, I didn't measure the grain temp and calculate the strike temp...(that was my lesson from this episode 'don't try to guesstimate this')
Anyway, I made the executive decision to put the hob (Halogen, I think) on the lowest setting and left it for about 15 mins. I was expecting a slow creep-up in temp, but to my horror when I returned both Mash vessels (a pasta pot and big saucepan...) were reading over 80c.
I took immediate action dropping in ice cubes and removing insulation etc... and the temp came down pretty quick.
I know that high temp mash is supposed to result in astringency, but thankfully my gravity samples didn't have any detectable mouth-puckering element. I drink my samples with whisky that night or the next day and in fact the colour was amazing and it was very clear too.
Have I escaped? Or, does the astringency take a while to develop/ come to the fore?
The link to the recipe is below. It is an Irish Red Ale...well that was the idea anyway...

<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/588318" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Tannin extraction should have been there if it happened. If temp was up only for a short time your probably fine. Remember some mash processes boil a small portion of the mash.
Worst case you denatured some enzymes and you could have lost some efficiency maybe? If not RDWHAHB.

I was brewing low for like 3 batches before I noticed for similar reasons, I had it in my head that that 62-64C (143-147F) was a normal mash temperature for some reason. The beer still turned out good. I'd mark it up as learning experience and move on personally.

I had it in my head that that 62-64C (143-147F)
That range is fine, though 148-150 will give better efficiency. I often start mash at 136 and slowly rise to 148 or so and stop for the main rest. The beer could be light in body at those lower temps, so I throw in an infusion at 158 or so.

As for the original question, PH is low early in the mash, or should be, so that tannin extraction should be a non-issue.

As long as the conversion was complete, your fine. High temps will denature the amylase enzymes and stop conversion.

High temperature extraction of tannins is greatly exaggerated and often called a myth, mostly because a decoction mash requires grain to be boiled. Decocted beers are some of the smoothest beers there are.

Cheers everyone. Looks like all will be well. Did lose some efficiency as only got 7 litres at target OG, rather than the 9 Iitres was planning on.
Will measure the grain temp and run it through the strike temp calculator next time...

This brew has been in the bottle for a good three weeks and happy to report that no harm has been done. A touch sweet but not overly so, much less than my last porter even.
Maybe if I held at the super high temps it would have been a disaster, but swift action seems to have saved the day.
Beer is more robust than I think, obviously.

Back