Bulk Malt Blend

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried blending 2-row and Maris Otter? If so, at what % of the grist is MO noticeable? I'm considering consolidating some bulk grains into one container that would leave me at roughly 90% 2-row:10% MO. I'm wondering if the MO will just be lost or if it could add a nice little malty backbone to the 2-row.

Has anyone tried blending 2-row and Maris Otter? If so, at what % of the grist is MO noticeable? I'm considering consolidating some bulk grains into one container that would leave me at roughly 90% 2-row:10% MO. I'm wondering if the MO will just be lost or if it could add a nice little malty backbone to the 2-row.
I blended Crisp MO with Wyermann Barke Pilsner and Rahr Premium pilsner, I think the ratio was something close to even among all malts for a German pilsner. The beer turned out very nice and I got 2 silver medals with it, but I thought the Maris Otter came through as somewhat sweet, bready like and the beer lack the grainy cracker I have gotten with straight up Wyermann Pilsner malt.

I blend malt all the time and it changes depending on the beer I'm making. If I were to do that Pilsner again, I would back the Maris Otter off a bit, or maybe drop it altogether. That same beer with a Bohemian Pilsner malt won like 3 golds for me and I thought it was a better beer. Then again if I'm brewing for myself and I want that breadiness in a beer, I would leave it around 30%.

I don't think the 10% MO would get lost in some beers (lighter beers) but in heaver, darker beers I think it would not be very noticeable. Can you buy them in bulk and keep them separate? That way you can experiment with blends with different beers.

I blended Crisp MO with Wyermann Barke Pilsner and Rahr Premium pilsner, I think the ratio was something close to even among all malts for a German pilsner. The beer turned out very nice and I got 2 silver medals with it, but I thought the Maris Otter came through as somewhat sweet, bready like and the beer lack the grainy cracker I have gotten with straight up Wyermann Pilsner malt.

I blend malt all the time and it changes depending on the beer I'm making. If I were to do that Pilsner again, I would back the Maris Otter off a bit, or maybe drop it altogether. That same beer with a Bohemian Pilsner malt won like 3 golds for me and I thought it was a better beer. Then again if I'm brewing for myself and I want that breadiness in a beer, I would leave it around 30%.

I don't think the 10% MO would get lost in some beers (lighter beers) but in heaver, darker beers I think it would not be very noticeable. Can you buy them in bulk and keep them separate? That way you can experiment with blends with different beers.
I've already got them in bulk and separate, but was going to free up a container for some other grain by just mixing the two in one container. It would likely just be for some easy drinking pale ales, cream ales, and the like so I may end up trying this. Thanks for the feedback!

It would likely just be for some easy drinking pale ales, cream ales, and the like so I may end up trying this.
You can't go wrong with that blend, it will just add a bit of bread character. Nice work.

You'll only run the risk of not having the same ratio every time you brew. If you worked at it you can mix them well and assume that there's a pretty uniform mix, but you'll never know precisely what you're brewing with. Not going to hurt anything, though. ;)

Back