Nice to see PayPal as payment option

BrewAgain

Trial Member
Reaction score
Id like to see paypay as a payment option.
1 time payment for one year. and you do NOT have credit card info for users.
Identity theft is paramount on peoples minds these days and the more your info is out there, the greater the chances.

Until PayPal gets compromised...

There also needs to be an option to renew at our leisure. I do not want to set up recurring payments automatically.
I've paid annually for the past several years. My membership runs out tomorrow and I will allow it to do so. Recurring payments should be an option. Not mandatory.

There also needs to be an option to renew at our leisure. I do not want to set up recurring payments automatically.
I've paid annually for the past several years. My membership runs out tomorrow and I will allow it to do so. Recurring payments should be an option. Not mandatory.
Seriously!? I don't do recurring either. I don't mind the price jump to $25 for reasons explained earlier, but if recurring is the only option.... well, it's been nice hanging around here for one year anyway. I'm confident that they will fix this or it's just an error. Recurring fees is a trap and I don't see this site operating that way. At least I hope not. Yooper?

Last edited:
Lots of companies do recurring subscriptions. A couple years ago, I saw a copy of Reader’s Digest in a waiting room. It brought back memories, so I subscribed at a dirt cheap rate. I just couldn’t get back into the habit of reading it, like I always did as a kid. Issues never even got unwrapped when they came. Last week, I got a mailed notice from RD telling me they were going to hit my card again, as I agreed to. (I didn’t remember that.) That notice included invalid instructions to cancel. It provided a nonexistent website link. Not cool! Fortunately, I found another way.

Well, I think I may have found a way around it (recurring payments) but it doesn't fix what I think is a bad idea. It should be an option. I like to have control of when and where my money is going. I don't have a problem with the price, but I want payment control.

So.... what's the workaround?

A new credit card every year??

As a work around I think you could send yourself a gift subscription. I think...
Anyway, yooper did answer my email this morning. After going through the process I guess you do have the ability to cancel the recurring payments and have your original payment still go through. Kind of awkward and I still think it should be an option or at the very least explained. Otherwise, i'm guessing many will just choose not to go through with it. My opinion, but i'd make it as welcoming as possible or risk losing more than you gain. Again, just opinion.

Maybe Yooper or others will reply and give us some options. But I won't do an auto renewal.

this already has been discussed look here, josh made a good point
https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/accept-paypal-for-membership.6445/

Josh's point had nothing to do about choice, other than BF "decided to consolidate our payment options" rather who holds your card information. Why consolidate the options?

That being said, Brewers Friend has every right to run their business the way they want. It's up to the customer to choose to accept that choice. Admittedly, I have enjoyed the benefits offered here at Brewers Friend, and will continue to frequent the forums and use the calculators as they are great, but I don't want a work around, I want a simple choice, between non and auto renewal and without that, I will not be renewing with an auto-renewal.

This is no different than gift cards, businesses love them because a large portion of those cards will be lost and/or never used. Who wins... the store that sold it.

What happens when a member gets sick, or leaves the hobby and forgets to "unsubscribe"? Their cards get charged! To me, that's a deal breaker and bordering on unethical.

I recall seeing a "gift" option (as described above by another member), but can't find it. Can you point me in the right direction and I can read and see if that is an option that works for me. If that option is still there, I will renew that way. EDIT: found the gift card option: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/gift

Last edited:
I did the workaround thing. Renewed for 2018 as a gift from me to me. Hoping that will be adjusted in the coming months and PayPal added. We'll see.

I did the workaround thing. Renewed for 2018 as a gift from me to me. Hoping that will be adjusted in the coming months and PayPal added. We'll see.
Will be renewing the same way. Great site and products. But lousy renewal program. Silence speaks volumes. ;)

Back