Accept PayPal for membership

100amps

Trial Member
Reaction score
I prefer to pay by PayPal for most internet vendors and services so that I don't have to worry about my credit card details being stored on (and possibly stolen from) yet another vendor's (potentially insecure) commerce server. I work in IT security; For me, this is a show-stopper in buying a Brewers Friend Premium membership, which seems to be reasonably priced.

it actually costs the vendors you pay it to 3% more so that make less profit for the companies

Identity theft ain't so bad. I've been hit 3 times this year. Didn't cost me anything but the time to deal with it!:p

it actually costs the vendors you pay it to 3% more so that make less profit for the companies

Right. So there's 4 ways to go off the top of my head:
  1. BF eats the extra 45 cents (for an annual membership) so they can offer prospects the added value (security & convenience) that offering PP brings;
  2. BF subsidizes the cost of PP by increasing all premier memberships slighly.
  3. BF charges prospects 45 cents extra for the PP security & convenience;
  4. BF keeps status quo and takes a pass on some prospective membership revenue;
A cost benefit analysis will need to consider: a) Will offering PayPal increase revenue enough or add enough value to justify or offset the cost? And b) Will passing along the added cost to use PP have any negative impacts?

A poor business decision for BF, in my opinion, would be door #4 which has no upside other than being easy. But it's a decision for the boss or the board.

Last edited:
My 2c i see this time round when i just recently paid for my yearly subscription to brewersfriend that its put me on an automatic yearly deduction. Obviously i can opt out mmmm but i have unbeknown to me signed up to a save the tree wildlife fund that took an monthly deduction out of my account. Lucky for me i met my missus lol;). No angst to you brewersfriend.

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback on this. You all have very good points. Yes, we decided to consolidate our payment options when we made the switch to recurring billing. We did quite a bit of research and we selected Stripe as our payment processor due to their security practices as well as their support for developers. You can find more information on their site here:
https://stripe.com/
or more technical information on security:
https://stripe.com/docs/security/stripe

Stripe is completely secure, and the way it works it does not allow us to store any credit card or billing information whatsoever on our servers. That information goes directly to Stripe and we simply receive a token that allows us and only us to bill your card. So even if Brewer's Friend is completely hacked (let's hope not), no one can compromise your credit card. Obviously this is still entirely up to you, and I fully understand if you still choose not to renew, but I wanted to make sure the correct information is out there.

Does the renewal show up on credit card as from culturemedia.com ... thought it would have had brewersfriend in there somewhere.....was wondering if my card was hacked again.

Does the renewal show up on credit card as from culturemedia.com ... thought it would have had brewersfriend in there somewhere.....was wondering if my card was hacked again.

Yes, we use the cultured media name for our forum- don't worry, it's good!

Back