Kolsch Yeast

Mase

Trial Member
Reaction score
First 20 brews have all been Ales. Going for a Lager (style), Were going to brew a Kolsch this weekend. The yeast strain will be a Kolsch from Wyeast (2565) with a temperature range of 55-60 degrees (F). I will be preparing a 1 liter yeast starter to reach the target cell count. I also plan on using a primary for 2 weeks and a secondary for 2 weeks prior to cold crashing.

Per Wyeast: "This yeast may also be used to produce quick-conditioning pseudo-lager beers and ferments well at cold 55-60°F (13-16°C) range."

My questions are as follows:

1) We don't have a way to temp control fermentation. Our basement this time of year is around 62 (F) and the cold cellar is around 45 (F). I was planing on the Primary and Secondary (1 month total) both at 62 (F). Is this a good temp for both Primary and Secondary? Or should secondary be even colder?

Edit 5:49 pm Eastern: With the primary and secondary fermenters sitting on the floor in the corner of the basement, the temp is around 56 (F).

2) should the yeast starter also be at the same temp as the fermentation?

FYI, the grain bill and hop bill is: 9 lbs Pilsner malt, 1 oz. tradition hops at 60 minutes and 1 oz. Hersbrucker at 30 mins.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
In your shoes, I would primary at 62°, and secondary at in the cold cellar at 45°. I think that will make a fine beer. I used that yeast at 68° once for primary, and it went nuts. I should’ve used a blowoff tube.

I normally primary at 55° and secondary at 32° with that yeast. I only smack the pack, I don’t make starters. I think your natural refrigeration will produce very similar results.

Edit: you made your edit as I was typing your reply. I didn’t see it before! Ferment in the corner at 56°, then secondary in your cold cellar.

Last edited:
First 20 brews have all been Ales. Going for a Lager (style), Were going to brew a Kolsch this weekend. The yeast strain will be a Kolsch from Wyeast (2565) with a temperature range of 55-60 degrees (F). I will be preparing a 1 liter yeast starter to reach the target cell count. I also plan on using a primary for 2 weeks and a secondary for 2 weeks prior to cold crashing.

Per Wyeast: "This yeast may also be used to produce quick-conditioning pseudo-lager beers and ferments well at cold 55-60°F (13-16°C) range."

My questions are as follows:

1) We don't have a way to temp control fermentation. Our basement this time of year is around 62 (F) and the cold cellar is around 45 (F). I was planing on the Primary and Secondary (1 month total) both at 62 (F). Is this a good temp for both Primary and Secondary? Or should secondary be even colder?

Edit 5:49 pm Eastern: With the primary and secondary fermenters sitting on the floor in the corner of the basement, the temp is around 56 (F).

2) should the yeast starter also be at the same temp as the fermentation?

FYI, the grain bill and hop bill is: 9 lbs Pilsner malt, 1 oz. tradition hops at 60 minutes and 1 oz. Hersbrucker at 30 mins.

Thanks in advance.
The starter doesnt need to be at same temp as Kolsch yeast ferment temp. Your starter is just to multiply cell count. You can chill and decant or pitch the lot in.

56 will be fine the initial ferment temp may be a degree or two warmer from the yeast heating up durin primary its on the cooler end of the temp range so may take a day or two longer but should be a cleaner flavour.

Recipe is straight forward ive only used Spalt as hop in my two Kolschs ive done. It will really test your skills as a brewer good luck mase :).

The starter doesnt need to be at same temp as Kolsch yeast ferment temp. Your starter is just to multiply cell count. You can chill and decant or pitch the lot in.

56 will be fine the initial ferment temp may be a degree or two warmer from the yeast heating up durin primary its on the cooler end of the temp range so may take a day or two longer but should be a cleaner flavour.

Recipe is straight forward ive only used Spalt as hop in my two Kolschs ive done. It will really test your skills as a brewer good luck mase :).

What's your thoughts on Secondary fermentation? Stay at 56 (F) or move to the 45 (F) cold cellar? And does two weeks work for both Primary and Secondary?

In your shoes, I would primary at 62°, and secondary at in the cold cellar at 45°. I think that will make a fine beer. I used that yeast at 68° once for primary, and it went nuts. I should’ve used a blowoff tube.

I normally primary at 55° and secondary at 32° with that yeast. I only smack the pack, I don’t make starters. I think your natural refrigeration will produce very similar results.

Edit: you made your edit as I was typing your reply. I didn’t see it before! Ferment in the corner at 56°, then secondary in your cold cellar.
are you at 2 weeks each for Primary and Secondary at 55 (F) and 32 (F)?

Two weeks should be fine for both primary and secondary. I just checked my logs. I do 2-3 weeks for primary, and 2 weeks for secondary.

I would like to buy your basement.
In the summer the basement is around 65 and the cold cellar is at 55. If all goes well with this Pseudo lager, I plan to take full advantage of the basement temps.

I normally primary at 55° and secondary at 32°
Technically, that would be crashing/lagering and not secondary. Secondary fermentation would require temp that would allow the yeast to remain active and to continue to metabolize. The yeast will be dormant at 32.

When I do a Kolsch, I use K-97 dry yeast and it takes 2 to 3 weeks for primary and I'll often rack to secondary for a week or more before crashing and kegging. After that it may be 4 weeks or more of lagering before I feel like it's really ready, but it's very drinkable before that

Yeah i hear the Kolsch takes some lagering i dont secondary primary-then let yeast ckean up- crash - keg finn with geletin- condition/lager:).

One last question...

Using the Brewer's Friend Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator, considering this is a Pseudo Lager from Wyeast, do I select a "Pro Brewer Ale or Pro Brewer Lager? I ask this to determine the size of my yeast starter

But your beer turned out good, so all is well.:D
I like it. It’s one of my favorites that I brew.

Regarding your yeast pitch, I’d select the lager profile if I did a starter. Or brew it twice! See which you like better!

Go the lager one i would but thats just me. Id go more that 1 lt starter id go 2:rolleyes:.

Your basement sounds similar to mine at about 62. When I do a kolsch, I place my fermenter in a tote full of water just past the wort level in fermenter. My temps hold pretty rock solid and steady even at peak of fermentation. I start picking up esters if my kolsch temps fluctuate much. Then again, I use wlp029. The strain you're using may produce different results.
Nothing better than a delicious kolsch! Any time of year!

My apologies.
Just pointing it out to avoid confusion in light of the OP's question about secondary temp. No doubt that your methodology is solid, but if an inexperienced brewer considered secondary fermentation at 32 degrees before reaching final gravity in primary, for instance, all might now work out as intended.

Back