American Pale Ale any Suggestions

Brew on! Looks like it'll make a fine beer. I'd mash a little lower since you've got the C-80 and C-pils in it. You'll get some residual and body from that and a temp of 148 to 150 will get you more fermentability for a bit lighter. crisper finish. Either way, it should be good.

Reactions: dfj
I'm guessing hops will be pretty subdued with only 2oz in the boil and with that water profile.

I'm guessing hops will be pretty subdued with only 2oz in the boil and with that water profile.
good point should i target a a medium hardness water?

Latest version of BYO (I'm looking at it as we speak) has an article on APA.

good point should i target a a medium hardness water?

I emailed Urban Chestnut brewery one time about their water profile for their IPA. The head brewer emailed me back and said he brews his IPA at approximately the following:

Ca.....Mg...Na...Cl...SO4

and I know that's an IPA profile, but it will accentuate more hop bitterness if that's what you're going for.

However, I've had a few drinks this evening and I'm ready to rant about what an IPA or an APA even is anymore. India Pale Ale? American Pale Ale? What does that even mean? I've had both those in polar opposite ends of the water and hop spectrum. For example Sierra Nevada Pale Ale vs. my local Louisiana beer Parish Envie. Both are called American Pale Ale, but Sierra Nevada gives you a classic west coast profile with a bit of maltiness in it, while Parish gives you an almost no maltiness and a sessionable breakfast feeling IPA that focuses on the soft hoppiness and east coast yeast profile.

Your water (and yeast) is the most important thing in your beer and it really affects the clarity and hop content in your Hoppy Ales (capitalized for a reason). Your ratio of Chloride:Sulfates will mostly affect how you perceive hops and how you perceive the visuals of your beer. That's what I think is important.

I'm ready to rant about what an IPA or an APA even is anymore.
I'm with you! ;)
Most APAs seem to be trying to be an IPA in terms of hop profile. Personally, I much prefer a lighter, crisper beer if I'm drinking a Pale. ideally it's a little lower in ABV so that I don't have to worry about having more than one. With an IPA, denser malt and bigger hop profile including a deep but smoothe bitterness and huge flavor/aroma is what I'm expecting. There's some overlap in specifications in the BJCP style guidelines, but since I mostly prefer lower gravity beers, but the middle ground is usually occupied by hoppier beers and should be termed IPAs. A dandy Pale to me is lower to mid 50s in gravity and around mid 40s in IBU with maybe a light dose of dry hops while an IPA should ideally be .060 or more with the IBUs tracking pretty close to the OG points and 2/3 of that value coming from late hops and with generous dry-hopping.

don't get me started on IPA vs APA. My idea of an IPA is English version. I'm looking for liberty ale or sierra pale ale.
Today's IPA are a race to see how many ops and how much ABV you can cram in a bottle.

Maine Brewing company calls their MO a pale ale. Its not, Its an IPA. Stick to the guidelines

Reactions: J A
APA has spread worldwide now , we have Aus and NZ versions using local hops with hop presence from moderate to simply over the top hop bombs and I'm guilty of brewing outside guidelines on occasion myself but at least I call it an XPA .
If you read the guidelines it states that traditional early bittered or more modern hop bursted variants are acceptable and even the malt profile is broad .
Looking forward to next version of BJCP guidelines to see how they refine the APA / IPA since much of what's hitting the market here is really just a less boozy East coast IPA .

A particular favourite brewery of mine has released a DIPA with almost no bitterness, intentionally hazy with a soft mouthfeel and juicy fruity flavours but a 8.5% hit ....what do we call that ? A DNEIPA ?NEIIPA ?

Reactions: J A
Dneipa? Isn't that a river in Russia? How about NEI^2PA?

Of course, as an engineer, for Christmas write (HO)^3. Principle of parsimony, you know....

<iframe width="100%" height="500px" src="https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/embed/584780" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Some slight updates after a visit to the local Home Brew supply.
My local home brew supply also runs a 1 BBL nano brewery on site. so grains are always fresh
Had to split cara and sub crystal 10 since they only had a few oz left.
decided to go dry hop 1 oz mosaic and 1 oz cascade

The name of this ale comes from an ongoing Anonymous Conspiracy Theory that's been active on the internet since oct 2017.

Last edited:
Dneipa? Isn't that a river in Russia? How about NEI^2PA?

Of course, as an engineer, for Christmas write (HO)^3. Principle of parsimony, you know....
We could also write NE-1PA, since i^2 = -1.... DFJ, the recipe should work.

Back