Advice on Pale Ale for birthday

It's going to be pretty bitter. Not a problem if that's what you want. My "pale ale sweet spot" is about 35 IBU. Since you're not dry hopping, and if we can believe their website, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale isn't dry hopped, you might get away with the higher bitterness.

I am actually pondering on removing some hops from late additions and add to the whirlpool, just to cut down some of the IBUs. It is something I have thought about and was unsure, this is why I started the thread.

I am not one to like excessive bitterness and I would assume my friends' guests either, so I will try to tweak and see what I can come up with.

But in regards to flavour ( it will most likely lack some aroma due to the lack of dry hopping ), would the many late additions improve the overall " feeling " of the beer?

yes just let it sit and whirlpool by hand for a while just to not waste then 0 hops

I am actually pondering on removing some hops from late additions and add to the whirlpool, just to cut down some of the IBUs. It is something I have thought about and was unsure, this is why I started the thread.

I am not one to like excessive bitterness and I would assume my friends' guests either, so I will try to tweak and see what I can come up with.

But in regards to flavour ( it will most likely lack some aroma due to the lack of dry hopping ), would the many late additions improve the overall " feeling " of the beer?
No clue, but if you're brewing for relative newcomers to craft beer, remember the "fizzy yellow beer" effect: That's the beer that every successful brewery has on their tap list for those who've never tried craft beer, that the brewers hate to brew and that the beer snobs make fun of. It's what keeps the brewery's lights on, by the way. If you have a lot of craft beer "noobs" in your party, I'd consider dropping the IBUs even lower, perhaps into the blonde ale range. We, the lupulin shifted, may enjoy tongue-ripping bitterness but many others don't. Another approach is to up the crystal by either increasing the C60 or adding some lower lovibond crystal or even honey malt to increase the base's sweetness: Bitter and sweet tend to balance each other and with a maltier, sweeter backbone, you can go higher on the hops and not put off the broccoli haters in your group.

One of my mates has his birthday on January 25th and he asked me to brew a simple Pale Ale. He is not a fan of heavy hopped IPAs, but he would do a Pale Ale, also for his guests.

:eek: Hops! If it were me, I'd limit the hop additions to 60, 30 and 15 minutes. Have IBUs to about 35.

Malts I'd go 50% Maris Otter, 43% Lager Malt, 4% Wheat Malt and 3% Light Crystal Malt.

Not offensive to anyone...

I would very much enjoy that beer as is but for an unknown crowd and since he asked for a simple PA then you might consider dropping to around 35 IBU's. Removing the 20 min and the 10 min would do the trick. Maybe mash at around 153ish?

Here's a hop schedule that's been a huge hit...you could make changes to the malt bill, but keep it simple, light and crisp for best results.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/582931/party-pale
Everybody is pointing to the same thing...lower IBUs will probably make the most people happy. Unless your party is a biker ralley, a little bitter goes a long way. IBUs in the high 20s to low 30s tend to balance nicely without being harsh and when you have big whirlpool and dry hop additions of interesting hops, the flavors and aromas really impress.

I 3rd the 35ibus for pale i recon thats mu sweet spot with PAs according to BF calculator on a ballanced #1 water profile if anything favouring sulphates to give that crispness to it.

Main thing is yeast health and a clean beer.

I like that beer too especially for free:p

I 3rd the 35ibus for pale i recon thats mu sweet spot with PAs according to BF calculator on a ballanced #1 water profile if anything favouring sulphates to give that crispness to it.

Main thing is yeast health and a clean beer.

I like that beer too especially for free:p
35 is about what I was thinking, too. And if anything, punch up the sweetness a bit.

So I made some adjustments and the IBUs should be closer to what everybody has recommended and I can now see how this would be much better for the final beer.

However, I do not have any other malts to sweeten the beer more. I only have Crystal 60L and I do not want the beer to get even darker, but maybe that is not an issue?

Yeah, boost the C-60 to .4kg that'll be a nice bodied beer with some caramel flavor in the malt, but not too much. The MO will provide some sweet maltiness, too. The Notty yeast will knock it down to a fairly low FG and keep the finish crisp. I'd start fermentation a little lower just keep the acetaldehyde production as low as possible - I don't like the apple-y esters that Notty throws. Pitching at 19 and setting the chamber starting at about 17 and then raising to 21 or so after 2-3 days should make for a quick, clean fermentation. But pitching and 19 and leaving it there for the duration should work fine, too.

So I made some adjustments and the IBUs should be closer to what everybody has recommended and I can now see how this would be much better for the final beer.

However, I do not have any other malts to sweeten the beer more. I only have Crystal 60L and I do not want the beer to get even darker, but maybe that is not an issue?
I think you'll be fine by just lowering the IBUs.

Back