Sierra Nevada has their Pale Ale recipe on their website

That’s interesting. I’ve seen abbreviated grain bills and included hops listed for other brewery’s beers, but never a complete recipe!

Yeah, a full recipe from a national brewer is a rarity!

I get 35 ibu's using my equipment on BrewTarget, which should be pretty close.

I see they give some info on their other Delish looking beers one beer in particular the Torpedo extra IPA uses magnum as a late addition hopo_O!

Yeah, a full recipe from a national brewer is a rarity!

I get 35 ibu's using my equipment on BrewTarget, which should be pretty close.
I got double that on Brewer's Friend recipe builder. Cut the hops in half - they were using leaf hops for one - and things worked out.

That’s interesting. I’ve seen abbreviated grain bills and included hops listed for other brewery’s beers, but never a complete recipe!
They know you can't reproduce it on your equipment. Still, there's more than enough information there to hack the recipe. One thing missing is the exact yeast strain. They likely have a house strain and one of the major labs has likely cloned it but it's not the exact strain. The biggest missing piece of knowledge is their water and what they do with it. But we can get close from this and I'll likely try - I like a good Pale Ale, IPA is generally a bit over the top for my palate and edges over into harsh.

I agree with your harsh. We must share a palate!! I’m sure I’ll brew the recipe at some point in the near future as well. Let’s all send Yooper a bottle!!

I agree with your harsh. We must share a palate!! I’m sure I’ll brew the recipe at some point in the near future as well. Let’s all send Yooper a bottle!!
I'd like to send her a bottle of my Common but that's a digression. One thing I've found recently that really improved my hoppy beers and pretty much changed my "brewing priority order" is dechlorination. Now, right after sanitation, is making my water is free of chlorine and chloramine, using Campden tablets. Once I started doing so, I got a good Saison for the first time. Everything else has had better malt profiles. Next up is buying water from the local grocery store: Those big water machines in the front of the store are RO filters, the water costs $0.37 at my local King Soopers and is a blank slate for building up my brewing liquor. That will be how I try the Sierra Nevada clone, by building up the water from null using the "Light and Hoppy" profile on the site.

Interesting. Love that they do this. I have a very similar recipe and I do not know where it came from. It uses a bit of Vienna as about 5% of the base malt, and it uses 3 of the C hops. Chinook to bitter, Cascade for flavor, Centenniel for aroma. Always well received .. but no one has ever said "tastes like SNPA" :)

I actually brew it differently than that today but real close, I use a whirlpool now and no dry hop and a 1/2 ounce in a tea dunker on the bottom of the keg when serving, I also moved the perl to 10 minutes

I've been incredibly happy with the one I've been using, but I figure it's time to mess with the formula to see if I can make it better.

I'll start with the website formula and work from there.

so, here's what they don't tell ya after they brew that recipe the run the beer through these filled with hops, it’s not a dry hop more of a hop back, what I don't get is how they mash at 155 but the beer ends with a dry taste

torpedo.jpg

so, here's what they don't tell ya after they brew that recipe the run the beer through these filled with hops, it’s not a dry hop more of a hop back, what I don't get is how they mash at 155 but the beer ends with a dry taste

View attachment 2223
Bloody great attenuation and high sulphates? So thats what your trying to replicate with your keg hop...

yes so this is what I do drop this down right next to the dip tube and the beer runs through it up to your lovely hop filled glass

WP_20171219_001.jpg

I'm heading out today to get the ingredients. Here are screen shots of my BrewTarget recipe- it gets pretty close using my equipment parameters. Switching the 30 min. hop addition from 'boil' to 'aroma' brought the IBUs from 70-something down to 36.2. I'll be using WLP001 and adding a Whirlfloc @ 30 min.

Malt.png
Hops.png

Back