Summer Pils for feedback please

Mark D Pirate

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ( and ladies) with a warm summer ahead of me here and needing a fresh challenge in my brewery i'll be brewing a simple easy drinking pils .
I don't generally do lagers and those that know me will know i'm a fiend for hoppy beers so have tried to get at least a little hop presence in this one .

Will use a slightly modified Hochkurz double decoction mash

feedback welcome , TIA

Title: Summer Pils
Author: Marky

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: German Pils
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 63 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 80 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5%
IBU (tinseth): 32.44
SRM (ebcmorey): 7.43

FERMENTABLES:
8 kg - German - Bohemian Pilsner (66.4%)
3 kg - German - Vienna (24.9%)
0.3 kg - German - Acidulated Malt (2.5%)
0.75 kg - German - Carapils (6.2%)

HOPS:
10 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: First Wort, IBU: 7.44
50 g - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 40 min, IBU: 8.9
150 g - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.1, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 12.69
50 g - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.1, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.39
50 g - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.02
50 g - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.1, Use: Boil for 0 min
50 g - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 0 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - Bavarian Lager 2206
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid

Dude! I'm waxing my skis and you're wanting me to evaluate a summer ale? :)
Okay, snark aside, here's my feedback:
1. The grain bill you're using will likely suffer from decoction mashing. A simple step mash will do just fine (that Bohemian Pilsner malt is at best only slightly under-modified and decoction will likely degrade proteins you need for head retention while developing little to no flavor).
2. I like the gravity! Sessionable, likely very nice for the heat down there (or the cold up here for that matter!).
3. The hops look like they'll play nicely together.
4. I may well steal the recipe!
Maybe a bit of citrus (a touch of coriander)? Keep the finished pH low so it stays on the tart side and you should have yourself a winner!

If it were me id loose the carapils if adding for hear retention and body your pils malt will do just fine;). Its all about your mash. Ibe not done a pils with vienna yet! Looks a tastey brew mate. By all mean decoct itll get it out your system and you can see for yourself if its worth it. If starting on a proteine step make it short that wall lessening the likelyhood of proteine degredation as nosey was on about. I go 55c for 10 tgen 62-3c for 60 then 71c 20 min that last is for dextrins and to convert any miracle sugars left in the malt.
Ive not used that combo in a pilsner i usually hit it with sazz for that floral lovely aroma. Perle and tett should get some spice going im sure.

Hey ive actually been musing about doind a pils- munich -rice pilsner for that extra smashability just to add a curve ball:).

I have done a few decoction mashes and think it is worth it , can't do a step mash in that equipment any other way since RIMS isnt wired up yet and being an insulated tun i can't direct heat it .
May follow Nosys suggestion and add a little coriander and perhaps just pull a little wort from mash to heat for an infusion

I don't think coriander plays well with perl hops it has a grapefruit flavor
Perle to me comes off as minty-herbal. For the record, I'm drinking a Helles made with the Bohemian floor malted pilsner. I did a step mash at 144-156 degrees F, 30 minutes each. It's one of my better Helles, no decoction involved. I did do a 120 minute boil in a misguided effort to develop color and flavor. If I interpreted correctly, you're pulling the decoctions to raise the rest temperature (I use infusions). If you pull thin mash and don't boil it much longer than when it starts boiling, it's effectively the same as an infusion. One way to use the coriander, if you want, is use either Northern Brewer or Styrian Goldings in place of the German hops.

Yes I've herd that too but I guess its how you use it, I do a massive perl beer and a huge amount in the whirlpool its a pucker your lips grapefruit and rind taste

Perle to me comes off as minty-herbal.
Yeah, that's what I get from it. I used some in my Octoberfest (ale version) this year and I didn't really care for it all that much. It's gotten better as the hop flavor has faded. I like a more earthy/herbal/spice flavor and aroma in noble hops. Though I do like the subdued citrus/fruit/floral of hops like Magnum, Saphir and Opal.

Back