Black IPA for your input

It looks like a solid recipe, but I'd take the dark roast down a little. Too much roast flavor interferes with the hop flavor and pushes the beer closer to a big Porter. I used around 2% Midnight Wheat and some Special B but otherwise kept to dark cara-style malts to give color and dark flavors for my black IPA. It had just a good strong hint of roast flavor with a lot of complexity.

yeah those late additions look good, cold steep the black grains, don't mash, I had an issue with bad ash tray flavor from too much black malts in the mash.

Also, I see you've entered Oregon water in there, I assume you're going to use that as your base and not your target? If so, I'd think about a 3:1 or a 4:1 ratio on Gypsum:CalciumChloride to get the hops to work properly.

It looks like a solid recipe, but I'd take the dark roast down a little. Too much roast flavor interferes with the hop flavor and pushes the beer closer to a big Porter. I used around 2% Midnight Wheat and some Special B but otherwise kept to dark cara-style malts to give color and dark flavors for my black IPA. It had just a good strong hint of roast flavor with a lot of complexity.
Thanks JA! My earlier attempts had lots of chocolate (350L+) and it was awfull. When I moved to the dehusked dark roasts, that was a big improvement. I was going for a BIG ipa by pushing the limits. Maybe I went too far on the dark roast. That’s why I added the dry hops. Next time I will back off a bit and report back. Thanks again!

Reactions: J A
yeah those late additions look good, cold steep the black grains, don't mash, I had an issue with bad ash tray flavor from too much black malts in the mash.

Also, I see you've entered Oregon water in there, I assume you're going to use that as your base and not your target? If so, I'd think about a 3:1 or a 4:1 ratio on Gypsum:CalciumChloride to get the hops to work properly.
Yes, late additions it is. Amazing how much color you get in the last 10 min of the mash. It’s also good timing for a stirr to set the grain bed.

Yes on the water. That’s my base. Just had it analyzed and hoped it would come in harder. I saw in the style type that it needs additions per your suggestion. Thanks!!!

I see how the water calcs work now. Just happy to finally know my base.

More to learn.:eek:

Yes, late additions it is. A
You've got "Late Addition" checked on the ingredients but that doesn't indicate adding late in to the mash. It's late addition into the boil. It's used when you're adding extracts or adjunct sugars to the pot late in the boil. By checking late addition for fermentables, the calculator thinks that your initial pre-boil gravity will be lower and will go up during the last 10 minutes of the boil by the amount that's contributed by those ingredients. Your hop uptake will be different than is reflected in the calculator.
Since these are small percentages, it won't make a big difference, but for the sake of accuracy in hitting your numbers, uncheck the box on the ingredients list. You can still add the dark stuff to the mash late, but you'll get a more accurate representation of your expected gravity numbers, etc.

Thanks! I get it JA.

I’m also getting the hang of calculating the needed salts. A bit of trial and error, but still learning. :confused:

Reactions: J A

Back