Refilling CO2 Tanks

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I filled my 20 lb CO2 tank today. Like I said in another thread, the company that fills my tanks charges the same price for a 20 lb tank as a 5 lb tank. This begs the question - should I invest in a filling system so I can fill the 5 lb tanks myself? I have two 5 lb tanks. Would it be more trouble than it’s worth to fill the tanks? I suppose I could sell the 5 lb tanks, and buy one more 20 lb tank. It sure is nice to have a small tank to take with me when I go mobile with a keg. Another option would be to sell a 5, buy another 20, and use the remaining 5 when I go mobile, filling the 5 with a 20. Have any of you fellow brewers gone down this road? What were your thoughts and decisions?

Last edited:
Send me your spare I'm out of gas ATM problem solved:). As Mark suggested to me yesterday I think a soda stream bottle backup is perfect. I'm not sure what 20lb I've got a 6kg bottle probably similar.

It’s not a spare, it’s a backup. I planned ahead! :p I’d have to buy the transfer system and a scale. What I picked out would run me $100. It’d take about 7 fills (~2 years) to break even. Sometimes it’s not about the money, though. Heck, if I knew someone like Trialben who doesn’t plan ahead, I could fill his 5 pound tank for the same $20 that he’d spend at the place here when it’s open. Quicker break even, and then, free gas!!

some times its just convenience and some laziness thats more important than money, I have a 5 and don't fill it because even though its a 15 mile drive its cheaper to exchange than fill here in town, Ive had it filled and found that the $23 filed vs $12 exchanged, even though it takes a hour it's worth it lol

I hope it’s clear I’m referring to filling the 5 lb tank myself at home, using my new 20 lb tank.

Well i attempted to find a snug spot on the bike to strap my co2 tank too:eek:! Yeah i didnt want to risk it hee hee hee:D i think i would have got some odd looks traveling down the HWY so plan failed i could only imagine the damage it would do if it came loose:eek:.

So waiting for missus to come home from work so i can take it to HBS in the car safely...

I just paid 78$ for 6kg but beer is flowing so im appy;).

I take it no one is refilling their own tanks themselves, right?

Another variable that I have to consider is that I wouldn’t have to fill the 5 lb tank often at all. One option is only to use it when the 20 lb is empty for a day or two until I can get it refilled, and when I go mobile with a keg. That 5 lb tank could probably go 2-3 years between fills. Then it wouldn’t hurt so much to get only 1/4 the gas for the money compared to the 20 lb tank.

Ripped off ! I get mine through a mate in the fire service and even after shopping around was best i could do
Like I've said before about that HBS he is overpriced but it's close and he was open so I didn't have much other choice.

Yikes - y'all should move here. Less than $30 for 20# refill. There are no jobs, we have no LHBS, you drive.an hour for decent shopping ... but we have good fishing all year, and cheap co2

the problem with filling cylinders from another is that once the 2 pressures are equal the transfer will stop.

We own a fire protection company and recharge fire extinguishers. our co2 filling rig actually pumps the liquid co2 under pressure. When co2 is pressurised it becomes liquid.

I already have an understanding of what it takes to fill a tank. I have no questions about procedures. If a tank can be filled at a fire protection company (like Silco, where I get my tanks filled locally), it can be done at home. I know the liquid CO2 has to be transferred. That’s what dip tubes (or upside down tanks) accomplish. I’m wondering if it’s more trouble than it’s worth. If I only use my 5lb tank when the 20 is empty, and when I go mobile with a keg, it could very well last 3 or 4 years. My refill equipment might never pay itself off at that rate!

Having 1 extra tank is invaluable. I'd sell 1 of the 2 5# tanks and then only use the other in a run out situation and or for remote events.
Refilling just because you can doesn't always make sense.
You can likely sell the 5# tank for a good price if you're not in a hurry and what you have left will last a very long time.
Just my 2 cents.
Brian

One extra tank was always part of my plan. That’s why I have 2 five pounders. I definitely wouldn’t need 2 fivers now. I was already considering selling one when it’s empty. I think they’re selling for $60 on Amazon now, so I’d probably sell it for $30-40. They’re both in excellent shape.

Back