Generic All-Grain APA

KenK

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks. I'm brewing this apa tomorrow in my brand new kettle setup and am wondering if anyone sees any glaring problems with the recipe. I'm looking for something just a touch sweet and only slightly hop-bittered. Dry hopping is a possibility but I haven't given that much thought yet.
This is pretty close to my generic extract apa which the boys and I thought was pretty good but they thought it had a hint of cloves (which I couldn't taste). Anyway, I thought I'd switch from Cascade to Centennial hops and see what happens. What do you guys think?
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/549754/generic-all-grain-apa

Crystal can be cloyingly sweet - might consider losing it in favor of Munich or some such. Don't see any other issues.

Should work ok. Should get a nice golden beer too. With C 40 shouldn't have to step up mash temp. Your malt sweetness will be there even at 152 full mash.

Thanks you guys. Maybe I'll cut the crystal in half and just mash at 152 and see how that works out.
I'm using my new burner and huge kettle my kids got me a couple weeks ago so this should be fun. I did a trial boil and 8 gallons gets to a full boil in 31 minutes from 50 deg. I plan to boil with the lid off which means a 2 gallon boil loss in 60 minutes.

I use Pilsner, 10 Munich and 5% Victory for a very clean pale. I tend to mash low, Yes, Centennial! ...but definitely some in the late hop. Get 1/3 to 1/2 of your IBUs in the 60 minute and the rest after 20 minutes and throw in some at flame out. You'll probably really like some Simcoe in the mix, too.
Brew as is (with more hops)...you won't notice the Crystal funk if you're used to extract. After you've brewed this batch, try the same thing with no C40 and see what you think.

seriously guys 10 oz is not even going to be noticed, you guys obviously don't like crystal but not everyone share your tastes, Sierra Nevada Pale is one of the top selling pale ales and it has crystal in it

this recipe is fine, don't change it
I agree that 5% isn't going to be detrimental in any way. Also agree on brewing as is, but with more flavor and aroma hop. As for use of Crystal, I've found that toasty, nutty specialty malts like Victory, Biscuit, Special B suit my palate better for relatively light beers, APAs included. More robust beers need some Crystal, though. I tend to use CaraMunich rather than C40, but I'm not sure there's a lot of difference in the final flavor.

I would say a grainbill made out of Pilsner, Flaked wheat and flaked oats, with a mash temp. of 68C ( 154.4F ) will get you a very nice beer, no matter how many hops or the ABV.

But I like them bright, yellow, hazy and light coloured...

Tell ya what fellers -- I'll brew it the way it is except I'll do a half oz hops at 60, half at 20 and an ounce at 5 minutes. That'll keep the ibus about the same but give me more hop flavor. Never tried centennial so might as well go for it. I'll let you know how it went in a couple weeks. Thanks all for the advice.

Never tried centennial so might as well go for it.
You won't be disappointed with that hop schedule or Centennial in general. It's a very commonly used hop commercially and with good reason. Bell's Two-Hearted Ale is one of the best IPAs you can get and it's all Centennial.

You won't be disappointed with that hop schedule or Centennial in general. It's a very commonly used hop commercially and with good reason. Bell's Two-Hearted Ale is one of the best IPAs you can get and it's all Centennial.
Oh man, Bell's 2ha is one of my favorites!

Reactions: J A
I like Centennial in red/ambers... Oh, man, it works so well... very floral and less harsh than other pungent US varieties.

It will turn out very good.

Hi gang. I may have a stuck fermentation but don't know. The APA recipe I'm doing (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/549754/generic-all-grain-apa) seems to have bottomed out at 1.016 (supposed to go to 1.009). It's been there for four days now, but there is a little very slow activity in the airlock. The bucket temp is about 62 deg f (16.7 c). Is this as low as it's going to go? I'm toying with adding a bucket band heater to get to 65 deg f (18.3 c) or adding another pack of yeast. Is either of those a good idea or should I just rack to secondary and call it good?

Up to 66 and more active. Still in Basics 101 ;-)

Back