Still Brewing...

Cranky_Joe

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm Joe from Vermont, USA and have been extract brewing since 1988.
You name it, I've probably made a version of it, or something in that style. Good times! :cool:
Currently have an Imperial stout and hard apple cider going.

See you on the forums... :)
Joe

Welcome from Colorado! My wife and I lived in Burlington for several years while going to school.

Welcome from Colorado! My wife and I lived in Burlington for several years while going to school.
Thanks for the welcome!
So what school did you go to? Saint Michaels, Champlain College, Burlington College, UVM, VTC? I moved to Burlington in '92 from southern VT. More micro-breweries in the Burlington area than ever. Eight off the top of my head and that's not counting restaurants that make their own beer. There are a few distilleries too. It's good time to be in VT! :D

Welcome to the forum. So is there anything that has changed in brewing from 1988 to now that you wish would go back to the old way?

Welcome to the forum. So is there anything that has changed in brewing from 1988 to now that you wish would go back to the old way?

Hey Myndflyte, good question.
Racking my brain (pun intended), I can't think of anything that has changed or I would go back too. I used to travel 40 miles round trip to get brewing supplies, now there are several shops within 6 miles. If the shop doesn't have what I need (extremely rare), I can just go to the web. Back in the day, all we had was a phone book, so getting supplies was sometimes difficult.
Today equipment is better, abundant, and it's improving all the time. I used to have to start a racking siphon with a tube full of water and a catch basin. It was messy and didn't always work the first time. I got better at it, but it was always a pain. Today, I use a siphon pump and with a couple of quick pumps, the beer is flowing. Much easier.

The one thing I would like to have from my early brewing is the water. I lived in a town that chose not to treat the municipal water, and it was the best. Making great beer was so easy. Unless I burned the wort, or totally messed up something, it was a good batch. Good times!
If I recall anything else, I'll post it.

Sounds familiar. I still have my first 5 gal carboy from the late 70’s. Cider is working here also, it just takes a long time to finish.

Welcome and cheers!

Back