Draft Equipment

RAtkison

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am looking to begin kegging my homebrew and want to install a draft system in my garage standup fridge. Can anyone recommend a quality setup? I probably want to start off with a 2 tap system, with room for expanding (manifold/CO2 volume) to 4 at some point, assuming space will allow. I have seen the "kegerator" conversion kits, just not sure if they are worth it or if it is better to buy everything individually (minus the kegs). I've also see the ball lock and pin lock kegs, what is preferred?

Get the kind of keg (ball or pin) that most people use in your area. That way if you swap, it’s easier. Other than that, it doesn’t really matter. Maybe you’ll go for cheap. Mine are all ball lock.

I built mine out of a chest freezer. If you plan to store kegs on the compressor shelf, make sure you build your collar high enough for a keg with the fittings attached and have the lid close completely. Also, put your taps on the side away from that shelf. That way your lines don’t get in the way.

One suggestion I'd make is to invest in a dual regulator. This way you can carbonate one beer at a higher pressure while still keeping other kegs at serving pressure. You could also use the dual regulator to serve different styles at different pressures.

Also, when I first put my kegging system together I bough the typical R-type faucets, which seal in the back. I quickly found out how much they gunk up. It's a pain to clean. If you have the money, it's worth investing in a forward-sealing faucet like the Perlick 630 (I can't recommend the Perlick flow control variation enough).

Assuming I get either ball/pin lock, doesn't matter, what would I need to do if i wanted to put a commercial type keg on draft as well. I believe the configuration is a little different, right?

Thanks for the information concerning Perlick, I have heard that from another person as well so that is what I intend to go with. It's looking like it might be better to buy everything in pieces in order to get the quality system I am looking for with room to expand.

Last edited:
If you're looking for forward sealing faucets at a little cheaper price, check out Intertap faucets. I decided to go with those and have had no issues and they seem pretty good.

Assuming I get either ball/pin lock, doesn't matter, what would I need to do if i wanted to put a commercial type keg on draft as well. I believe the configuration is a little different, right?

Thanks for the information concerning Perlick, I have heard that from another person as well so that is what I intend to go with. It's looking like it might be better to buy everything in pieces in order to get the quality system I am looking for with room to expand.

there are 2 adapters you'd need to get to be able to use a commercial keg. they basically go on the sanke coupler, and allow you to hook up either the ball or pin lock quick connects. at my LHBS, they were about $20 each, but you may be able to find them cheaper online. make sure you get the right kind of adapters (ball or pin) based on what corny kegs you get

If you're looking for forward sealing faucets at a little cheaper price, check out Intertap faucets. I decided to go with those and have had no issues and they seem pretty good.
Man, I've heard good things about Intertap faucets (now). I noticed yesterday that kegconnection now carries Intertap. Kegconnection has great pricing and excellent customer service by the way (no affiliation, just satisfied customer). The usually have some great specials that start around the holiday season also.

3rd the intertap I'm biased but :D. The other taps I had kept getting sticky and you had to give the tap a few squirts with the starssan bottle to free it up if you hadn't had a beer for a few days.

Love my Perlick 630ss'. One year in service, 16 kegs and not once have I had to service. :D

I bought the cheap spring-loaded taps and have the same sticky and a couple of times locked problems with them, one I broke pulling on it, I don't like them at all, they drip 2 drops after each beer making my drip tray stink so I’ll be getting a forward seal as soon as I can sell some of this unused beer gear

I just bought one 630SS yesterday. Gonna buy 6 of them before I’m through.

Perlick are a top quality tap , my budget only stretched as far as Intertaps so far with few cheap and nasty taps that I hate ...they drip and they stick and looking forward to replacing them and smashing them to itty bitty bits with one of my many hammers

Buy the best quality you can afford , particularly gas regulator and disconnects
My reg is a 15 yr old BOC industrial model and should last years to come
My disconnects are all German made CMB after a cheap fitting leaked and cost me half a bottle of gas

I'd say the most important decision to make is to use Stainless Steel. That includes the tail pieces and the shanks.
I only use and stock Perlick faucets because they work and and I have no issues with them.
If you're using commercial kegs, make sure to use a sanke adapter that is SS as well.
I use Krome brand.
Last, make sure you get faucet caps and a spray bottle to clean and put it to bed at the end of the night. '
Cheers,
Brian

Last, make sure you get faucet caps and a spray bottle to clean and put it to bed at the end of the night.
I’ve seen that suggestion before. I think it’s about the little fruit flies or whatever critters might be attracted to the sticky taps. It makes me wonder what tap houses do for their taps on a nightly basis. I’ve seen some that have over 50 taps. Do they spray and cap each one of them every night? I’m betting not. Myself, I don’t do that for my 6 taps. The other day, I think I did see a bug in my beer. First one I’ve seen in 2 years. He didn’t drink much!

I use Taprite regulators. The economy ones are more difficult to adjust and don't hold up.
Another great idea is to put check valves on your gas lines close to the disconnect to prevent any beer backup through the gas side when running multiple kegs and possibly different pressures.
The faucet caps are $.50 so buy a few extra's as Murphy's law says when they fall off, they'll roll under the fridge!
Cheers,
Brian

I am looking to begin kegging my homebrew and want to install a draft system in my garage standup fridge. Can anyone recommend a quality setup? I probably want to start off with a 2 tap system, with room for expanding (manifold/CO2 volume) to 4 at some point, assuming space will allow. I have seen the "kegerator" conversion kits, just not sure if they are worth it or if it is better to buy everything individually (minus the kegs). I've also see the ball lock and pin lock kegs, what is preferred?

Just my 2 cents worth but I have run 1 Perlick and 3 Intertap side by side for a couple of years. Both work flawlessly but IMO the Intertap are easier to take apart and clean, which you will need to do once in a while. As Brian stated stainless steel is the go to on shanks and taps. Make sure you get the proper length shanks for your frig. And don't drill a hole in the frig cooling lines. Lots of people put the shanks in the door for that reason. And if you got the bucks to get started with a dual regulator it is worth it. You will add one later if not.

630ss' need no maintenance. Per the manufacturer, simply run cleaning solution through the system. That's why I bought them. They work, never fail, no maintenance. That's why they are pricey

I’ve seen that suggestion before. I think it’s about the little fruit flies or whatever critters might be attracted to the sticky taps. It makes me wonder what tap houses do for their taps on a nightly basis. I’ve seen some that have over 50 taps. Do they spray and cap each one of them every night? I’m betting not. Myself, I don’t do that for my 6 taps. The other day, I think I did see a bug in my beer. First one I’ve seen in 2 years. He didn’t drink much!
As ya know Jeffpn im in the pest business and of late have been doing a lot of work at local taverns and bars. Ive seen an explosion of them lately as the heat has come on. One such bar has a plug on each of their probably 30 taps to try and kerb the tough to kill fermentation fly or bar fly as is its more common name. My antedote well you guessed a mixture of the most fruity beer on tap and a dash of chemical for them to feed on. Does the trick. They are tough critters to be rid of and not one to be taken lightly you dont want your drinkers seeing barflies flying about everywhere.

630ss' need no maintenance. Per the manufacturer, simply run cleaning solution through the system. That's why I bought them. They work, never fail, no maintenance. That's why they are pricey

I have to respectfully disagree on no maintenance for any tap. I have tried pbw,and blc among other solutions but there isn't such a thing as a scrub free tap. Beer sludge and stone get in there and you have to take them apart and scrub. From the seal out is a short distance but without removal you can't soak it. Blc does work well but over time without a cleaning system like used by distributors, just soaking and flushing won't cut it.

Back