Running a small nano-brewery and tap-house

Ozarks Mountain Brewery

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
I know its come up several times and everyone has a dream to do it, just showing you a guy that did

No dream of that here. But friends do suggest it.

I think it’s funny that many members here have a user name that could be the name of a brewpub (I’m not referring to the forum’s default Brewerxxxxx name). I think you’re correct to say that many of us envision it.

No thanks... took me long enough to find a hobby that I really enjoy. The last thing I want is another job and no hobby. I agree with Jeff, that we've all thought about it, but nevertheless... no thanks. I'll just keep drinking my future profits

Ditto l the "no thanks". I have even had potential investors ask what it would take. If it were only the brewing I might give it a go but with all the other headaches, no thanks.

Pay to brew or get paid to brew! This craft beer scene is really cranking up here in Aus - if a bloke had a spare few bob to invest in a small brew pub in the right place I think he'd make a good start round here on the coast. Am I that man:rolleyes: just bought a house have no experience running a business yeah not me not now anyhow:).

I don't think he was prepared for that interview.
Whats your take on the micro brewery crunk? Your upping to 10 gal now just a few more a liquor licence and some really reliable friends who like drinking your beer and your off.

Crunks artisan German craft beer hallo_O

Whats your take on the micro brewery crunk? Your upping to 10 gal now just a few more a liquor licence and some really reliable friends who like drinking your beer and your off.

Crunks artisan German craft beer hallo_O

Pa license $1500.00, federal ttb no charge, insurance 15 million minimum coverage $600.00, rent for a space big enough $1000.00 per month, equipment purchase $35,000.00, tap room design, and construction $100,000.00, advertising $50,000.00 a year, 12 employees, plus insurance, uniforms, training $500,000.00 per year. Taxes (not even going there).

Keeping my money, and drinking my own beer, priceless.

Pa license $1500.00, federal ttb no charge, insurance 15 million minimum coverage $600.00, rent for a space big enough $1000.00 per month, equipment purchase $35,000.00, tap room design, and construction $100,000.00, advertising $50,000.00 a year, 12 employees, plus insurance, uniforms, training $500,000.00 per year. Taxes (not even going there).

Keeping my money, and drinking my own beer, priceless.
Training 500,000.00 what the:eek:.
Mate YOU are the training!

You aint going Micro with overheads like that surely. Yep but i get your point.

You know i just had a great idea on cheep labour. Advertise for free on the job training to willing homebrewers to come help out in brewery. Get them.to clean out mash tun clean the floor. Run th e tools and equipment hee hee hee.

Last edited:
Training 500,000.00 what the:eek:.
Mate YOU are the training!

You aint going Micro with overheads like that surely. Yep but i get your point.

You know i just had a great idea on cheep labour. Advertise for free on the job training to willing homebrewers to come help out in brewery. Get them.to clean out mash tun clean the floor. Run th e tools and equipment hee hee hee.

The 500,000.00 included salaries.

However, is it possible to open and operate a successful not for profit brewery and tap house?

Who would work there for free? We all have bills to pay!

Best brewing advice I ever got was from a friend who had his own brewery for 20+ years. "Borrow a bunch of money, get a job that requires working 7 days a week for a short while and give all your money away, Then quit the job and go back to making beer for yourself and your close friends to enjoy. It will take away less time from your life and it's simpler and less stressful that way."

The 500,000.00 included salaries.

However, is it possible to open and operate a successful not for profit brewery and tap house?

Some turn out to be not for profit. And a very few turn out like Sam Adams or Stone.

I honestly believe a business owner with passion can be successful those without passion won't

I'm passionate about my beer but I'm not passionate about running a business I could do it but I have no desire to do so

most successful businesses follow this rule, location, location, location, be seen, be heard, be friendly and have a good product

Location I have access to enough funds I have but I've already spent 20 years in the military I have seven years at my current job I think I would rather just work the next thirteen years and then retire but you never know maybe I'll get the itch in a few years for right now and in the immediate future I'm just not feeling it

I'm passionate about my beer but I'm not passionate about running a business I could do it but I have no desire to do so
Passion is a good start but is no substitute for adequate capital. And customers. You then have to brew what they like. Most brewers I know never want to see their flagship beer ever again.

Back