Vanilla beans vs Vanilla extract

dave althouse

Trial Member
Reaction score
Can you use vanilla extract in place of beans?? Extract has the vanilla in a solution, usually in an alcohol, Using the bean the results can't be predicted. So if my recipe calls for 3 beans and at the end of my fermentation there is no vanilla flavor, maybe I should of used 6 beans, see where I am going. Will the bean(s) have the same result time after time, I see several variables. Anyway, could one just use an amount of extract to get the flavor you are looking for and then use that amount in subsequent batches? What do you think?

I used extract for a vanilla porter. My wife liked it. Her request. That kind of beer is not my thing.

I used 5 tbsp for 5 gallons, added at packaging.

Last edited:
Can you use vanilla extract in place of beans?? Extract has the vanilla in a solution, usually in an alcohol, Using the bean the results can't be predicted. So if my recipe calls for 3 beans and at the end of my fermentation there is no vanilla flavor, maybe I should of used 6 beans, see where I am going. Will the bean(s) have the same result time after time, I see several variables. Anyway, could one just use an amount of extract to get the flavor you are looking for and then use that amount in subsequent batches? What do you think?
That's what I do.

The good thing about vanilla extract is that you can add it at any time. You can put it right into the keg or bottling bucket. You can put some in your current batch to enhance the flavor that's lacking from the beans. A little goes a long way so add small amounts to get where you want.

Great topic Dave I've been wondering the same thing heck the hard work of extracting the flavour in alcohol has already been done for you and it should be a more measurable amount.

Perfect timing. I have a porter fermenting now and would like to try some vanilla.

Perfect timing. I have a porter fermenting now and would like to try some vanilla.
I'd bench test that: Vanilla has a pretty low flavor threshold. But that's the good thing about extract - you can do that. And all you're doing by infusing vanilla beans in extract is making vanilla extract. So as long as you use real vanilla extract rather than the imitation stuff like McCormick sells, there's no real advantage to using a raw bean.

I'd bench test that: Vanilla has a pretty low flavor threshold. But that's the good thing about extract - you can do that. And all you're doing by infusing vanilla beans in extract is making vanilla extract. So as long as you use real vanilla extract rather than the imitation stuff like McCormick sells, there's no real advantage to using a raw bean.

I will start by testing with a measured amount in a glass and scale up.

Can you get the real stuff at the store or do you have to order it?

Reactions: J A

Best place I know of is World Market or TJ Maxx (Home Goods). They generally have some good vanilla. Otherwise, spice shop.

You should be able to find it at grocery stores. Just be sure to double check that it's not imitation extract.

Most grocery stores will have decent Vanilla Extract in their baking goods aisle.

I bought my extract from a Amish market, real stuff. Pricey but cheaper than beans.

They do? I did not know that! I thought they didn’t.

Back