Priming sugar

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Do I have to use Corn/Cane sugar for priming before bottling, or can I use other sugars?

Other sugars can be used. Some people use dry malt extract. Others use table sugar.

I've used the sugars contained in 100% fruit juices to carb, just gotta make sure whatever you're using to calculate so you don't over carb.

Priming sugar has such a negligible effect on the finished beer that it makes sense to use the most convenient and cheapest available. But, yes...honey, turbinado, fruit sugar, etc can all be used.

That’d be a ton of gas money for me! But a buck saved is a buck saved!! Where’s my gps?

If using table sugar how do you figure on how much to use. I'm doing 5 gallon batches extract

The difference between sucrose (table sugar) and dextrose (corn sugar) is very small. If you don't want to use the calculator (^^^^^), I doubt you'd notice the difference in carbonation levels without measuring.

I agree I was a big believer that corn sugar based on the internet talk was better but now after using regular table sugar those skeptics that keep giving us "bad onions" were wrong at least in this case

I agree I was a big believer that corn sugar based on the internet talk was better but now after using regular table sugar those skeptics that keep giving us "bad onions" were wrong at least in this case

I agree. Table sugar works just fine.

Why use anything other than table sugar - I haven't been given a good reason. I know there's some beer lore out there about table sugar and off flavors but it's just that, beer lore. After all, candi sugar is sucrose and I don't hear anyone complaining about using it in beer!

Why use anything other than table sugar - I haven't been given a good reason.
Because corn sugar is included in the Brewers Best extract kits I always used to brew. It’d be silly to throw it away and use table sugar instead! How’s that for a good reason? :p

Because corn sugar is included in the Brewers Best extract kits I always used to brew. It’d be silly to throw it away and use table sugar instead! How’s that for a good reason? :p
About the only rational reason I can think of.... I've never used a Brewer's Best kit so I have no idea what they put in there.

All the ingredients for 5 gallons, and 55 caps. They’re top notch at BB.

Back