Recipe Stats Exclamation Point

Thegundog

Trial Member
Reaction score
When editing/scaling a recipe (increasing kettle volume) I noticed exclamation marks in the recipe stats.

The exclamation marks appear unde the OG, ABV and SRM categories.

I know this is a very basic question that seems to pertain to the OG (which I did not modify), but what can I say - I’m still in the basic stage!

This program looks great....

Last edited:
The check marks let you know if you're within the guidelines of the style you picked

The exclamation point is when you're outside of style. Lots of ways to fix that, change amount of ingredients, the timing of the hops, adjust batch size.
Personally, I try to get close but don't stress if it's a point or two off

The exclamation point is when you're outside of style. Lots of ways to fix that, change amount of ingredients, the timing of the hops, adjust batch size.
Personally, I try to get close but don't stress if it's a point or two off

Okay, I changed the volume size of the recipe using the scale feature and it changed the amount of ingredients.

It does not seem to have changed the original gravity and that’s where I see the exclamation points.

Do I have to manually change the original gravity? - I could not find an area to change that factor.

Thanks

Increase the amount of malt or extract you're using. More sugars in the same volume means a higher OG

For SRM, you could add more of the darker malts, or you could just boil longer

ABV is tied to the OG, so fix that and you'll have more alcohol :)

I see, the original recipe calls for two extracts, one at 47.6%, the other at 52.4%.

So I would gradually increase each of those and make certain I maintain the original % ratios until I reach the desired OG - right?

Pretty much.
I tend towards keeping things simple, so I'd use a whole can of extract or try to use the full baggie of hops when brewing.
If you're a little bit off from the original recipe, I highly doubt it would drastically change the beer

Pretty much.
I tend towards keeping things simple, so I'd use a whole can of extract or try to use the full baggie of hops when brewing.
If you're a little bit off from the original recipe, I highly doubt it would drastically change the beer

Thanks for answering my questions, I picked up a lot from this thread.

You're very welcome, hope the beer turns out great!

Back