Recipe Stats Exclamation Point

Discussion in 'Recipe Editor' started by Thegundog, Oct 7, 2017.

  1. Thegundog

    Thegundog New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2016
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Gender:
    Male
    #1 Thegundog, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    When editing/scaling a recipe (increasing kettle volume) I noticed exclamation marks in the recipe stats.

    The exclamation marks appear unde the OG, ABV and SRM categories.

    I know this is a very basic question that seems to pertain to the OG (which I did not modify), but what can I say - I’m still in the basic stage!

    This program looks great....
     
  2. jmcnamara

    jmcnamara Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Messages:
    2,457
    Likes Received:
    1,947
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Rosedale, MD
    The check marks let you know if you're within the guidelines of the style you picked
     
  3. Thegundog

    Thegundog New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2016
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Gender:
    Male
    The checks marks I understand, but what is creating the exclamation marks and what do I need to change in order to achieve check marks in those areas?
     
  4. jmcnamara

    jmcnamara Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Messages:
    2,457
    Likes Received:
    1,947
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Rosedale, MD
    The exclamation point is when you're outside of style. Lots of ways to fix that, change amount of ingredients, the timing of the hops, adjust batch size.
    Personally, I try to get close but don't stress if it's a point or two off
     
  5. Thegundog

    Thegundog New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2016
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Gender:
    Male
    Okay, I changed the volume size of the recipe using the scale feature and it changed the amount of ingredients.

    It does not seem to have changed the original gravity and that’s where I see the exclamation points.

    Do I have to manually change the original gravity? - I could not find an area to change that factor.

    Thanks
     
  6. jmcnamara

    jmcnamara Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Messages:
    2,457
    Likes Received:
    1,947
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Rosedale, MD
    Increase the amount of malt or extract you're using. More sugars in the same volume means a higher OG
     
  7. jmcnamara

    jmcnamara Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Messages:
    2,457
    Likes Received:
    1,947
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Rosedale, MD
    For SRM, you could add more of the darker malts, or you could just boil longer

    ABV is tied to the OG, so fix that and you'll have more alcohol :)
     
  8. Thegundog

    Thegundog New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2016
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Gender:
    Male
    I see, the original recipe calls for two extracts, one at 47.6%, the other at 52.4%.

    So I would gradually increase each of those and make certain I maintain the original % ratios until I reach the desired OG - right?
     
  9. jmcnamara

    jmcnamara Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Messages:
    2,457
    Likes Received:
    1,947
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Rosedale, MD
    Pretty much.
    I tend towards keeping things simple, so I'd use a whole can of extract or try to use the full baggie of hops when brewing.
    If you're a little bit off from the original recipe, I highly doubt it would drastically change the beer
     
  10. Thegundog

    Thegundog New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2016
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Gender:
    Male
    Thanks for answering my questions, I picked up a lot from this thread.
     
  11. jmcnamara

    jmcnamara Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Messages:
    2,457
    Likes Received:
    1,947
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Rosedale, MD
    You're very welcome, hope the beer turns out great!
     

Share This Page

arrow_white