Session Saison - Feedback, Please

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Okay gents, have at it....

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/543869/session-saison

What I'm looking for is a light bodied, moderate alcohol, spicy Saison, very dry, something I can drink pints of and not wonder how I'm going to get past the "fermentation character." As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking for a sessionable Saison du Pont. Your feedback is appreciated....

Mod 1 already made: Replaced the wheat malt with spelt malt, added an ounce of Carafa for colour and a touch of nuttiness, upped bitterness to 27 IBU.

Pilsner as a base malt is a very good idea. You say " spicy and dry ", I automatically think of Rye. So get 10% Rye in the mix or maybe a bit more, depending on how you " like " the Rye character. Rye blends well with the esters and phenols from a Saision yeast.

Keep the flaked wheat, but drop the sugar and the Vienna malt. They are not needed. I would drop those.

I am not familiar with the yeast you have chosen, but as any other Saison yeasts, I think it will be wonderful. I just love Saisons!!!

Mash low - 149F/65C - for 60-90 minutes, keep the grainbill clean and ferment HOT! :D

It will turn out awesome.

PS: If you wish to add a new/different dimension to your Saison, I would think about dry hopping. I know, it may seem totally unneccessary, but I have done it. Just use something like Citra, Mosaic, El Dorado, Denali, Eureka, Ella, etc.

It seems you wrote at the same time I replied.

This was my latest Saison:

4000 gr Pilsner
500 gr Rye
500 gr Spelt
100 gr Chocolate Spelt
200 gr Oat Hulls

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.007

It was supposed to be a 5% Saison, but had crazy eff. with my Grainfather and a new grain crush. 7% of goodness. I dry hopped it with Rakau and Falconer's Flight 7C'S.

I like the Spelt addition.

Maybe Carafa would be a bit too much/astringent... I used Chocolate Spelt and although it gave a beautiful amber colour, it is definitely better in darker beers.

Saaz and Styrian combination of hops will give you the ideal spicy and balanced hop profile for a saison, (my opinion).

I just brewed a saison, I didn't particularly like it only because I thought it was perfectly balanced and didn't have anything special to it. Recipe was

70% Belgian Pale, 20% White Wheat, and 10% Vienna.

Even amounts of Styrian and saaz equalling 30 IBUs
50% Styrian @ 60
50% Saaz @ 20
50% Styrian @ 5
50% Saaz @ flameout

my water was Ca:75, Cl: 75, SO4: 75

AND, the kicker here if you're trying to make a session beer. USE LESS GRAINS, I promise. Saison yeasts love to eat and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat. THe last two saisons I had planned were supposed to be 8% and 6% and they ended up being 10.5% and 7.75%...

Thanks for all the advice! I've set the custom attenuation at 80% to compensate for the aggressive yeast. I think I'll go with my mod, maybe rethink the color malt and let you know how it comes out.

Thanks for all the advice! I've set the custom attenuation at 80% to compensate for the aggressive yeast. I think I'll go with my mod, maybe rethink the color malt and let you know how it comes out.
UH uh I'd go 90% attenuation as an average from my experience I got 90% + attenuation from my two Saisons I've brewed.

80% gives me a margin of error. I want to keep the ABV under 5.5%. Just bounced the recipe off the LHBS staff and they concur: brew as modified.

I'm drinking a 5.7% Saison at the brewery attached to the LHBS. I want mine drier. But this is quite good.

I've got a malt bill all weighed out for a Saison to be brewed tomorrow. I had intended a different recipe, but mistakenly grabbed my bin of white wheat malt for a recipe that definitely didn't need that. And I had to sub some specialty malts because I was out of one of the ingredients. I re-did the original recipe but saved this one and I think it'll make a quite nice saison:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/529816/fortuitous-french-saison

Back