S-04 Temperature

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
The wife and I are having some folks over for a Harry Potter marathon, and have overwhelmingly requested a pumpkin spice beer. I've thrown together a super easy 5-gallon extract recipe and am trying to figure out what yeast to use. I feel that S-04 would lend a decent mouthfeel to the beer, but I'm worried that the yeast has too much character for a beer with pumpkin spice already in it. If anyone has experience using this yeast, I'd like to hear your input. If you have other yeast suggestions, fire away!

I modeled my BIAB Pumpkin Spice Porter after Brewer's Best's extract kit. That kit includes S-04 yeast, so I used it as well. In fact, if I brew today, that's what I'll be brewing. My wife liked it just fine. That beer doesn't appeal to me, though. It did taste like what I was going for.

http://brewersbestkits.com/assets/1062-2016-pumpkin-spice-recipe.pdf

I modeled my BIAB Pumpkin Spice Porter after Brewer's Best's extract kit. That kit includes S-04 yeast, so I used it as well. In fact, if I brew today, that's what I'll be brewing. My wife liked it just fine. That beer doesn't appeal to me, though. It did taste like what I was going for.

http://brewersbestkits.com/assets/1062-2016-pumpkin-spice-recipe.pdf
Thanks! I'm using a brown ale as a base for this one to try and give it a nice orange-y color. The late addition in the Brewer's Best kit surprises me a little. Did you notice the aroma additions at all? I've got some tettnanger and saaz laying around that I could throw in.

I'm one step closer to brewing that. I just got back from buying the kit. I'll probably brew it up here in the early evening.

I'm not the best person to ask about the late additions or aroma. I just did what they said to do. I'm probably the least discriminating member here when it comes to critiquing a beer.

Thanks! I'm using a brown ale as a base for this one to try and give it a nice orange-y color.

fwiw, i have a pumpkin spice beer that's finishing fermenting where i used about 2 lbs of carrots in about a 3.5 gallon batch. I don't think it added quite the color i was looking for, but i'll know for sure when i rack and bottle it

Got it brewed. Stovetop partial boil. Quick brew day. I used S-04 just a couple days ago at about 68°F (ambient basement temperature). It showed signs of life 3 hours after pitching, and looked to be done at day 2. Let's see what this one does.

Yep! SO4 starts off very fast, well it did for me the last time I used it! I found that it did not ferment down as low as SO 5 though.
but only about a couple of points.
Cheers

Yep! SO4 starts off very fast, well it did for me the last time I used it! I found that it did not ferment down as low as SO 5 though.
but only about a couple of points.
Cheers
I pitched last night and the beer was already at full krausen when I checked it this morning. This yeast is a beast for sure. I'm actually using it because, as you mentioned, it doesn't attenuate quite as well. I was hoping it would help give the beer a little body to stand up to the spices.

I made Juicy IPAs using S-04 and turned out OK. I use it for pale ales, IPAs, red/ambers, stouts, porters, black IPAs and they turn out very good. S-04 will work as good at lower temps. and higher ( 22-23C ).

I always get between 75 and 79% attenuation with this yeast.

Back