Brewing with Carrots

i think i did see that when i did a google search, i'll have to look further into it. im on a tight schedule with this one, needs to be ready in less than a month. Think im gonna go with the recipe more or less as is, still undecided about those leaves though...

Any vegetable starch should convert as long as it's gelatinized and there's enough diastatic power in your grist. Since carrots are a root, I don't think you have to worry about pectin. I've been wanting to use potatoes or bananas. :)

I don't know the effects it would have whether it is reverse so that the drunker you get the better you see but I do rember reading Steve Jobs story about when he got cancer and resorted to a regime of only eating carrots.
He finally stopped when he said his friends noticed his skin was taking on an orange hue.

this is what i have so far, basically what was on that website with a few small tweaks. hopefully ive got the dang thing marked as public. haven't quite nailed down the pumpkin pie spices part, a previous brew i just threw in 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice at 5 minutes or so. i'd like a little more complexity, but have to look into it a bit more.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/540374

planning on brewing this tomorrow, so i've already got everything listed. but any thoughts on the spice?

this is what i have so far, basically what was on that website with a few small tweaks. hopefully ive got the dang thing marked as public. haven't quite nailed down the pumpkin pie spices part, a previous brew i just threw in 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice at 5 minutes or so. i'd like a little more complexity, but have to look into it a bit more.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/540374

planning on brewing this tomorrow, so i've already got everything listed. but any thoughts on the spice?

I haven't quite dialed mine in yet, but I've been playing with a spice extract using cinnamon sticks, whole clove, whole allspice, fresh nutmeg, fresh ginger root (roasted), and split vanilla beans soaked in vodka. A little allspice goes a loooooong way.

oh wow, don't think i'll be able throw something that complex together by tomorrow. sounds good though

I cheat. Savory Spice has these little packets of pumpkin pie spice. I grab one, or nab a bit of SWAMBO's stock of pie spice, and call it done.

I can't see the recipe but if you're trying to mash with carrots, they need to first be gelatinized for the starches to be made available for conversion. If carrots are anything like potatoes, gelatinization happens at boiling temp. Two easy options are to 1) boil the carrots, and 2) roast the carrots. Shredding them first helps a lot and if roasting, it may also help to soak them.

Once the starches are gelatinized you will need a high DP source to convert them since any resident enzymes will be deactivated during boiling/roasting. 6-row, wheat, potato skins, ginger, or straight up enzymes can all help with that.

Ah jeez. I know what to do but never seem to do it right the first time. Hopefully this works https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/540374/pumpkin-spiced-carrot-ale

The carrots do get roasted in some water, but they're added to the boil. I'm going for the color more than flavor, so maybe that's the way to do it?
To your point, I think I'll give them a whirl through the food processor first though

That should work if you don't intend to mash it. The less you boil it, the more vegetable color you retain. Shredding will caramelize faster and reduce roasting time.

Just wrapped things up. Not as much color as I was hoping, maybe that'll change in the final product. I just used 1.5 tsp of pumpkin pie spice, but it smelled great when I put it in the fermenter. More gingersnap cookies than pumpkin pie though

Just wrapped things up. Not as much color as I was hoping, maybe that'll change in the final product. I just used 1.5 tsp of pumpkin pie spice, but it smelled great when I put it in the fermenter. More gingersnap cookies than pumpkin pie though
How did your conversion go there Jmac that would of been close to the limit of diastic power of that marris otter? Hope it turns out tops.

Ya know, my pre boil gravity was just about spot on, but I forgot to measure when I dumped it in the fermenter. I didn't put the carrots in the mash, so Dp wasn't a problem

Back