Same batch, 2 different fermentations

sn00ky

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
In the picture, take note of the 2 back carboys. One is clearly differentthan the other in terms of fermentation process. Both were same boil, same US-05 pitched from same starter (divided). Temperature difference over each side was less than a degree ( cold air source is on right ).
I'm not yet concerned at all, letting them hang out for another couple days before FG and crashing, but ever so curious as to why a difference?
Yeast was well stirred and I am fairly confident the pitch was equal between both carboys.

Perhaps one had more trub from BK? Even if it did, shouldn't matter much.

No big deal probably, more an observation
2017-09-05 14.57.36.jpg
worth discussing.

its normal, Ive had yeast go crazy with one batch and and using the same yeast trub from that batch lag a day and a half with the other beer, all kinds of things go on like replication and dormant cells its hard to tell

Definitely worth the science behind this, learning only makes better beer. Do some research.

And check with the hydrometer/refractometer to see if there is really a difference in fermentation, or just appearance.

Perhaps one had more trub from BK?
I'd say you're on the right track there...it'd be hard to drain a boil pot into two different carboys without getting more of the break material into one than the other. The other factor would be aeration. There could easily be a big difference in suspended O2 between the two carboys...even if you use oxygen in equal amounts, there could have been more to start with in one of them.

Back