Fermenting in Corny Kegs

BoomerBrian

Trial Member
Reaction score
I brew 3 gallon batches and since I mainly brew IPAs and hoppy Pale Ales reducing oxidation was high on my list.I took one of my kegs and cut a 1/2" off of the tube and drilled out the pressure relief so I could add a gromet and thermowell for temperature control. When fermenting I use gas side connector into a blowoff tube. I transfer using CO2. Works great.

IMG_09321.jpg

IMG_0931.JPG

lol I like how basic old products are sometimes like the top of your keg that states this end up

like idiots work there and need to know o_O

I've been thinking about going this rout so your fermentation volume is 5 gal or four and your final product racked to serving keg is 3gal?

I've been thinking about going this rout so your fermentation volume is 5 gal or four and your final product racked to serving keg is 3gal?

My fermentation volume is a little over 3 gallons. I am not sure this would work with 5 gallons. Should work with 4.

My fermentation volume is a little over 3 gallons. I am not sure this would work with 5 gallons. Should work with 4.
Yep totally get that you'd need some krausen headspace in keg fermentor. I'm guessing chilling down that keg to pitch temps would be quicker from increased surface area on keg.

Yep totally get that you'd need some krausen headspace in keg fermentor. I'm guessing chilling down that keg to pitch temps would be quicker from increased surface area on keg.

Not sure. I chill in my brew kettle and transfer to the keg and pitch.

Brian, could you show me some pictures of the lid off the keg? I'm interested in doing this and a little to dumb to figure out what you did to keep that thermowell in place.

Brian, could you show me some pictures of the lid off the keg? I'm interested in doing this and a little to dumb to figure out what you did to keep that thermowell in place.

I will snap some pics.

Here you go.

All I did was drill a hole in the lid that would fit a gromet. I just used a gromet from one of my buckets. Then just slide the thermowell in and you are done.

I also use the hop canister for dry hopping. It is made for a corny keg. Just open the lid and drop it in.

Attachments

• IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 546
Simple yet effective sometimes the most obvious answers are staring us right in the face.:) Great idea!

Oh and great profile pick Brian NEIPA ?

Thanks.

All Citra NE Pale Ale
Ok Brian I'm biting the bullet and am going down the ferment in a keg route. I see you said you've cut 1/2 inch off the bottom of dip tube, you'd still get a bit f trub on transfer this long eh? You transfer untill the line runs clear ?
And 3 1/2 gallons is your fermentation volume no blow off's at this volume? You could push it to 4 eh?

I'm gathering your getting 3 gallons of final product this way?

Ok Brian I'm biting the bullet and am going down the ferment in a keg route. I see you said you've cut 1/2 inch off the bottom of dip tube, you'd still get a bit f trub on transfer this long eh? You transfer untill the line runs clear ?
And 3 1/2 gallons is your fermentation volume no blow off's at this volume? You could push it to 4 eh?

I'm gathering your getting 3 gallons of final product this way?

I usually try and limit the amount of trub I transfer from the boil kettle so usually when I transfer to the serving keg I see a little yeast at the start of the transfer but it clears up quickly.

I have a blowoff into some starsan but at my volume nothing has ever come out. I have read people have pushed the volume to 4.5 gallons.

If you want to dump all of the trub in you might want to put a screen on the diptube to prevent clogging. I am going to do this so I can dry hop without using a canister.

http://scottjanish.com/my-favorite-way-to-dry-hop-loose-in-primary-and-kegs/

I usually try and limit the amount of trub I transfer from the boil kettle so usually when I transfer to the serving keg I see a little yeast at the start of the transfer but it clears up quickly.

I have a blowoff into some starsan but at my volume nothing has ever come out. I have read people have pushed the volume to 4.5 gallons.

If you want to dump all of the trub in you might want to put a screen on the diptube to prevent clogging. I am going to do this so I can dry hop without using a canister.

http://scottjanish.com/my-favorite-way-to-dry-hop-loose-in-primary-and-kegs/
I'm thinking of taking like two inches off end of dip tube to allow for my fast and free Truby transfers. I can see loose hop particles are going to be a Royal PITA! A good couple day cold I'm hoping might negate this issue.

I was watching a you tube clip on fermenting in a keg old mate was using threaded disconnect so you can unscrew transfer hose and clear it into a container untill line runs clear .

Maybe just go more flame out whirlpool aroma hops than dry hops?

Another good reason for me to ferment in kegs is I can now do split batches I can fit two or three kegs in my ferment chamber whereas only one bucket.:)

Any other newbie mistakes I need to watch out for Boomer? thanks for the reply;).

You could always cut more off the tube to deal with the trub. I have only had one clog and that was when I loose dry hopped. I usually use a corny keg hop canister.

I thought about one of these. It pulls the beer from the top. Would work perfect. Cold crash, transfer, and stop when you start seeing the beer get cloudy.

http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/home.html

Looks like a float hey Brian? Yeah ill order some parts especially that thermowell set up ypuve got there. That dont pop out on preassure transfer? I suppose you transfer at low psi.

Yep i recon will drop 2 inches off dip tube.

Looks like a float hey Brian? Yeah ill order some parts especially that thermowell set up ypuve got there. That dont pop out on preassure transfer? I suppose you transfer at low psi.

Yep i recon will drop 2 inches off dip tube.

Yeah. That thing replaces the dip tube and pulls the beer from the top.

Funny you mention that. Normally under 10-20 lbs of pressure the thermowell is fine. I usually transfer around 5 lbs. I tried loose dry hopping this time around without a filter and clogged the tube. I cranked the CO2 up to around 30 lbs to try and clear the debris. The thermowell shot out like a rocket and split my forehead open. Hit me right between the eyes. :)

Just remember as you are transferring to relieve the pressure every minute or so in the serving keg. Otherwise it will pressurize and stop the transfer.

Back