CO2 fire extinguisher for Kegging

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody converted and used a CO2 fire extinguisher for kegging their beer?
Can I just use a regular CO2 fire extinguisher adapted to my regulator and used upside down.
Is The CO2 The same in a fire extinguisher as it is in a kegging CO2 bottle?

Has anybody converted and used a CO2 fire extinguisher for kegging their beer?
Can I just use a regular CO2 fire extinguisher adapted to my regulator and used upside down.
Is The CO2 The same in a fire extinguisher as it is in a kegging CO2 bottle?
Not trying to be mean, but, just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD. I would never do that since kegs can be purchased relatively cheap and refurbished

Sorry, I meant using the co2 to carbonate and pressurize the beer, already have the corny kegs.

My bad, after rereading, I read it differently the first time. However, it may not be food grade and you likely won't be able to fill it from food grade Co2 lenders. Just my thoughts

most places will interchange the 5 pound tank when your out of C02 even if you bought yours, you'll never see it again , seems to be the norn these days so going with a non standard probably not a good idea

It's not so hard to find a deal on a used 5# CO2 tank...I wouldn't take any chances on contamination.

I wouldn't do that either, but I have my 5 lb tank refilled at a fire protection place. They have CO2 because they refill extinguishers.

Jeffpn, dose the fire protection place have food grade C02?

I wonder what else it in there Just Co2 or any flame retardant materials if so that stuff maybe toxic.

Co2 fire extinguishers here in Canada are labeled with ingredients, it will tell you if there is fire retardant mixed in. I have read in other site of Brewers using them to cabonate beer by just adapting the regulator to the handle, I know it works and is safe (less than 50psi coming from the original lever) just wanted to know if anyone here does this.
Their is lots of talk on food grade or non food grade but the quality may be different country to country.
There is a dip tub in co2 F/E's that needs to come out or you need to run it upside down to get only the gas.
If I end up using my 20lb I will post picture of th setup (bottles are not cheap here!)

Back