Green tea leaves in a Summer Ale

The Green Man

Premium Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
It's such a delicate flavor you'll need a lot of them. Can't say I've ever tasted the green tea in a green tea ale, just the astringency.

I had some tea ales lately and got a good amount of tea aroma in them, not green tea though.

one came from the new Beer Camp across the world pack, the other was a local Port Orleans tea pale ale. might give you some ideas there.

It's such a delicate flavor you'll need a lot of them. Can't say I've ever tasted the green tea in a green tea ale, just the astringency.
Oh dear, I want to avoid the lip puckering and just get a slight green tea taste. I think the refreshing clean flavour might compliment the cascade and light flavour of my planned ale. Might just drop the green tea leaves in a few hours before bottling.

@The Green Man check out you tube chop and brew episode where they interview this lady who puts tea in her beers maybe insightful sorry dont kn9w the link.

Maybe do search chop and brew "tea beer"

@The Green Man check out you tube chop and brew episode where they interview this lady who puts tea in her beers maybe insightful sorry dont kn9w the link.

Maybe do search chop and brew "tea beer"
Good shout. Turns out my instincts were right. Green tea is for dry hopping in the secondary (black tea can be added in last 5 of the boil though). Good video. Will let you know how it goes.

You might try cold steeping the tea and adding the tea itself rather than the leaves. I for one would NOT put tea leaves in a beer. The classic sensory training for astringency is to suck or lick a used tea bag. But by all means let us know how this turns out - might not be the first time I was wrong...

Good shout. Turns out my instincts were right. Green tea is for dry hopping in the secondary (black tea can be added in last 5 of the boil though). Good video. Will let you know how it goes.
So you found the video link there Geen man? I like their chop and brew clips can be entertaining and insightful at same time.

You might try cold steeping the tea and adding the tea itself rather than the leaves. I for one would NOT put tea leaves in a beer. The classic sensory training for astringency is to suck or lick a used tea bag. But by all means let us know how this turns out - might not be the first time I was wrong...
That was the other way to get the tea taste in that she mentioned. Advantages are that you can monitor it better. Tbh, I added 5g in an aroma steep in a 5 litre batch of IPA a few months back. Couldn't taste the tea at all, no noticeable astrigency either. But, that wasn't a lot of tea...
I suppose the problem with adding it as a tea solution later is about dilution and effects on fg. Initial thoughts on getting over this would be to steep strong, but it might be difficult steeping a strong tea and not get the astrigency too.
Think, I'll try hopping very late on. Like 3 hours before bottling. Will post results in a few months.

Last edited:
So you found the video link there Geen man? I like their chop and brew clips can be entertaining and insightful at same time.
Yeah, in the opening clip I thought he'd been on da'erb. Very chilled man. Like you say amusing and informative. All good, thanks @Trialben

I had some tea ales lately and got a good amount of tea aroma in them, not green tea though.

one came from the new Beer Camp across the world pack, the other was a local Port Orleans tea pale ale. might give you some ideas there.
Thanks for that. Will look into it.

Back