New brew house supplies.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So Tax time means extra dollars = new brew house bits and bobs at brew managers digression (missus).
Put in me new order to leg king Today for some new brew yeast and gadgets to make my brew life easier:rolleyes:.

I got me a new lager yeast strain WLP802 czech budejovice lager yeast to spruke me pilsners with if anyones got any experience with this yeast im all ears and tastebuds:p. I also renewed my wlp090 Sandiego ale yeast its on gen 7 atm so thought it might be prudent to start this strain afresh save some genetic mutations...:confused:

I also ordered an wort airation kit includes pump hepa filta hose and .2 micron air stone looking forward to better airation hopefullyo_O anyone with tips on these let me know pls;);).

I also orderd another SS intertap with spring close spring sick of that other one gunking up and almost snapping handles on first session pours.

And last but most importantly i finally got me a pollycarbonate site glass and stainless t piece so i can finally more accurately take brew session strike volume preboil post boil volumes.
Looking forward to installing and trying out all me new brew toys cheers!

That's awesome glad you got some new toys.

Since I started my yeast bank I decided to run each generation until I see it's not performing well, or throws an off flavor, at this time, I have not run into that yet.

Enjoy your new toys.

That's awesome glad you got some new toys.

Since I started my yeast bank I decided to run each generation until I see it's not performing well, or throws an off flavor, at this time, I have not run into that yet.

Enjoy your new toys.
That Wlp090 yeast is still performing great for me I've got it working ATM on that chock coffee stout its at 71% attenuation in 3 days on that brew. I can only get whitelabs yeast that I know of near me from Victoria Aus which I'm sure is over 1500km away so thought I'll get some back up yeast while I'm making the postage :).

Some of my strains start performing even better after 3-4 generations my house 1272 is getting higher attenuation and floccing better than a first gen smack pack / starter would .
dare say i'm selecting the more flocculant yeast when i decant my starters from flask though as the least flocculant cells are tipped out with the spent wort which should logically mean i'd be getting lower attenuation not higher as the yeast drop out earlier ...i dunno ! but it's working so i'll keep doing it

How many generations?

I have split my 34/70 4 times now, I'm still using the original generation I split my wlp 011 2 times now getting ready to brew again this up coming weekend using both as I'm brewing a helles and an apple ale

Reactions: J A
I was too slack last brew to pinch a clean sample off my wlp090 then i though oh fine ill top crop it day 3 in on krausen. Well we went away over weekend so didnt get a look at it. I can keep the slurry off this stout or buy a new clean fresh yeast supply i opted for the later.

I was too slack last brew to pinch a clean sample off my wlp090 then i though oh fine ill top crop it day 3 in on krausen.
I should work on the habit of making starters and keeping back splits, but I'm lacking a stir plate and I just get lazy. Using dry yeast is so simple that I don't worry about it too much, though I always get better performance from 2nd generations when I save slurry. I often just save all the slurry or pitch directly into the fermenter but on one of my last batches I used Nottingham and wanted to keep a good clean colony. I saved the slurry out of secondary instead of the primary and it gave me a really nice clean sample - no hops since I had dry-hopped early and no protein break material. If I'm judging right, I can save half of it back and use half and it should be just about the right amount for a strong, healthy pitch on a standard gravity beer. ;)

I should work on the habit of making starters and keeping back splits, but I'm lacking a stir plate and I just get lazy. Using dry yeast is so simple that I don't worry about it too much, though I always get better performance from 2nd generations when I save slurry. I often just save all the slurry or pitch directly into the fermenter but on one of my last batches I used Nottingham and wanted to keep a good clean colony. I saved the slurry out of secondary instead of the primary and it gave me a really nice clean sample - no hops since I had dry-hopped early and no protein break material. If I'm judging right, I can save half of it back and use half and it should be just about the right amount for a strong, healthy pitch on a standard gravity beer. ;)
Yep nothing wrong with using slurry just gotta be careful what you brewed on last batch i suppose.

Reactions: J A
Does getting extra taps installed count ?
1502162291900-1899134463.jpg

Back