Yeast Strains

Brewer #62921

Trial Member
Reaction score
Every packet of yeast I have used is says it is Saccharomyces cerevisiae in fine print, even the yeast my wife uses for her bread is Saccharomyces cerevisiae ,

What is the difference between american west coast ale yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) London ESB yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and the baking yeast for bread (Saccharomyces cerevisiae).

Is this just marketing?

Thanks

Every packet of yeast I have used is says it is Saccharomyces cerevisiae in fine print, even the yeast my wife uses for her bread is Saccharomyces cerevisiae ,

What is the difference between american west coast ale yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) London ESB yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and the baking yeast for bread (Saccharomyces cerevisiae).

Is this just marketing?

Thanks
Different strains. Think Poodle and Pit Bull. Both are Canis familiaris.

Saccharomyces cerevisiae is ale yeast, bread yeast and wine yeast. They are all classified as same species of yeast. Saccharomyces uvarum is lager yeast and is set apart from ale yeast, although the new thought on this is that lager yeast should classified as saccharomyces cerevisiae because they are so similar.

The different ale strains are very close genetically, but have different fermentation characteristics that lend them to a specific beer type.

It's definitely not marketing.

Last edited:
Well through reading that article Wlp001 and Wy1056 are two different strains and not identical. It would be cool to get the yeast family tree chart for a poster...

Back