Pumpkin Stout

jdwebb

Trial Member
Reaction score
Been thinking of doing something for the Thanksgiving season, a pumpkin stout style braggot. One thing I found that stouts benefit from is a long aging time, especially when using honey. Here is my recipe, comments are welcome. Thanks.

EDIT: I changed the ingredients to include 5 lbs LME, 6 lbs wildflower honey and 1 lb maltodextrin.

Last edited:
JD: For us to comment, you'll have to make the recipe public or share it. We can't see it as things currently stand.

You mentioned LME: Pumpkin has to be mashed to do anything in a beer (it doesn't do much as it is). Unless you're mashing the pumpkin with a mini-mash, leave it out. You'll never notice it's missing.

JD: For us to comment, you'll have to make the recipe public or share it. We can't see it as things currently stand.

You mentioned LME: Pumpkin has to be mashed to do anything in a beer (it doesn't do much as it is). Unless you're mashing the pumpkin with a mini-mash, leave it out. You'll never notice it's missing.

HA...my bad...should be good now!

I've done pumpkin before, just not in a stout. Pumpkin alone, offers nothing more than a creamy mouthfeel. Pumpkin by itself, with no seasonings, is a VERY bland squash.

HA...my bad...should be good now!

I've done pumpkin before, just not in a stout. Pumpkin alone, offers nothing more than a creamy mouthfeel. Pumpkin by itself, with no seasonings, is a VERY bland squash.
Exactly! I'm not a fan of pumpkin beers but my next one, if ever, will feature pumpkin pie spice or some other appropriate flavoring and absolutely no pumpkin. Not worth the effort IMHO.

Full disclosure: I don't do pumpkin pie, either, not even at Thanksgiving. I'm a Southern boy, give me a good pecan pie instead. Hmmm, a beer suggesting pecan pie flavors....

I may just dump 2 cans of pumpkin in just for the mouthfeel, I did it in an ale, and it was very tasty, it did remind you of the creaminess of a pumpkin pie, but that's all that it adds, nothing more. Nosybear, I'm with ya on the pie, not a big fan of pumpkin pie, I eat it to keep the relatives quiet. Give me a nice juicy apple pie or cherry pie...now THERE"S a couple holiday beers...LOL

Exactly! I'm not a fan of pumpkin beers but my next one, if ever, will feature pumpkin pie spice or some other appropriate flavoring and absolutely no pumpkin. Not worth the effort IMHO.

Full disclosure: I don't do pumpkin pie, either, not even at Thanksgiving. I'm a Southern boy, give me a good pecan pie instead. Hmmm, a beer suggesting pecan pie flavors....
Not pecan BUT i did have a peanutbutter brew a week or so ago.It was ok .
Never eaten a pumpkin so couldn't comment butwould immagine that it could be bland!.

Not pecan BUT i did have a peanutbutter brew a week or so ago.It was ok .
Never eaten a pumpkin so couldn't comment butwould immagine that it could be bland!.
Chub, you have no idea how bland food can be until you've eaten pumpkin. Any less flavor and it would be water.

Chub, you have no idea how bland food can be until you've eaten pumpkin. Any less flavor and it would be water.
Oh i do you know:p:D
My wife loves Marrow's. God damn awful things,almost all water and no taste,ughhhhhhhhhhhhh:D
They belong to the same vegetable family as pumpkins:eek:

Last edited:
Ah they aint to bad you lot on their own they suck but give me a butternut pumpkin roasted in the oven with the skin on so it goes all caramellie and chewey and ill eat it as is. And i grew up hating pumpkin:rolleyes:

And beer....:D

Ah they aint to bad you lot on their own they suck but give me a butternut pumpkin roasted in the oven with the skin on so it goes all caramellie and chewey and ill eat it as is. And i grew up hating pumpkin:rolleyes:

And beer....:D
I think here we call butternut a squash - it's flavorful and might do well in a brew!

I think here we call butternut a squash - it's flavorful and might do well in a brew!
Now THERE"S a thought. I like Butternut squash, it's probably the only one besides the Acorn squash that has some flavor without the spices. Problem is, they're out of season here, be hard to find one. Gonna look though...

Butternut squash,marrow,pumpkin,courgette,yuk,all the same blasted uninteresting family of veg:D

Got any acorn squash? Both have some flavor, a bit on the mild side. Let us know how it comes out - I might try. Love me some acorn squash with butter so this is one of the few times I could imagine actually brewing and fermenting to get diacetyl rather than to avoid it!

Back